Wiki coding same procedure different day

plschmacht

Best answers
When a patient presents for a wart removal and comes back 2 or 3 days later and has the same procedure again - is this considered part of the global or a new procedure? The same with and I&D. If they come back and another I&D is performed instead of just a wound check/dressing change - is this a new procedure or part of the global?
We have 4 coders in our office and part of us think it is still included in global even though the procedure is being done again and part think another procedure should be billed out with a 76 modifier.

Are the second warts removed in the same location as the first and just wern't removed the first time? Different location? Were the two proceudres planned to take place on separate days or was the second procedure unplanned? There are important circimstances missing that would help provide the correct answer. (I did assume a 10 day global below...)

In either case, a 76 would not be the correct modifier since it is for a repeat procedure done on the same day. The more appropriate modifiers, depending on the circumstances noted above and the documentation to support would be either 58 or 78.