Coding tachycardia and dizziness for pregnact patient

citygirl

New
Best answers
Good Afternoon,

Can anyone assist me with coding maternal tachycardia and dizziness in a 28 week pregnant patient? The coder coded O26.893 and R42, R00.0 which I am not sure is correct. I have been unable to find any good resource to help me with this question.

Appreciate any information :)

Tachycardia in pregnancy

I wouldn't use O26.893 unless it is specifically documented the condition is being caused by the pregnancy. When I have patients with palpitations or conduction related disorders, I use O99.89. OB isn't my specialty though, so if I'm doing it incorrectly, please let me know.

I wouldn't use O26.893 unless it is specifically documented the condition is being caused by the pregnancy. When I have patients with palpitations or conduction related disorders, I use O99.89. OB isn't my specialty though, so if I'm doing it incorrectly, please let me know.

I agree. I tend to gravitate more towards O99.89 unless as you stated I am given an indication the condition was caused by the pregnancy.

Yes, I too prefer the code for{ O99.89- Other specified diseases and conditions complicating pregnancy, childbirth and the puerperium}, the condition present for the patient is complicating the childbirth, and it is not due to occurrence from pregancy duration.