Wiki Coding wound repairs

Best answers
I am preparing for the CPC exam and found an article in Becker's that says: "the physician will state a layer closure or intermediate wound repair was performed after the excision. Coders can assign an extra code and generate a different payment if there is a layer closure or intermediate wound repairs, but only closures that apply to subcutaneous tissue can be considered "layer closures." If the physician says he or she performed a layer closure but does not indicate which tissues were closed, the coder should not report the procedure as a layer closure.

In the case of a closure that does not affect the subcutaneous tissue, coders should use the code for a simple repair. "If the physician just says layer closure and doesn't document tissues closed in the body of the op report [and you still code for a layer closure], you're generating money you're not entitled to.

However, a question on my AAPC CPC practice exam contradicted this. The documentation stated a layered closure was performed without mentioning the tissue and the rationale was "According to CPT® guidelines “Repair of an excision of a malignant lesion requiring intermediate or complex closure should be reported separately”. The intermediate repair code is reported because it was a layered closure".

Here is the scenario "A 46-year-old female had a previous biopsy that indicated positive malignant margins anteriorly on the right side of her neck. A 0.5 cm margin was drawn out and a 15 blade scalpel was used for full excision of an 8 cm lesion. Layered closure was performed after the removal. The specimen was sent for permanent histopathologic examination. What are the CPT® code(s) for this procedure?"

Thanks in advance for your help

I don't think that this is a true "contradiction". Keep in mind that the practice exams are there to teach you "concepts". In the example there is an understanding that the requirements for that code are met even though it may not be specifically documented. Don't get too hung up on this.