Wiki Collateral for OT

laurenmowens@yahoo.com

Contributor
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Hello, I haven't been able to find the equivalent of a 90887 for occupational therapists, and I'm hoping to gain some insight on it here. A 99366/8 involves a medical team with/without the patient/family. But, what if the OT just meets with the parents of a client to discuss treatment goals and progress? Can an OT bill 90887 like a psychologist, or is there a code I'm missing to complete this puzzle? Any assistance is appreciated!

You cannot bill 99366/8 because it requires multiple specialties treating the patient to participate in the medical team conference, usually at least 3 different specialties must be involved.

As for 90887 the description specifically states that psychiatric results are part of the interpretation or explanation of the data to the family or other responsible persons, so unless your OT is providing psychiatric care, then no they are not able to bill 90887.

That's exactly our predicament. How do OTs get paid for any time they spend explaining treatment in length to parents (over 15 min)? Would it have to be a self-pay amount, or is it billable in some way?