Wiki colonoscopy screenings with biopsy

dawnha1

Contributor
Best answers
We are having issues in Florida with a patient coming in for a screening colonoscopy and during the procedure a biopsy is taken. Do you get payment for the screening or the biopsy?

I'm sorry. Now that I've actually read your question....no. You will get paid only for the biopsy, not for the screening. Once the biopsy is done, it is not a screening.

you use the ICD-10 code for screening first listed and any findings from the biopsy secondary. You then drop the screening Colonoscopy procedure code and bill the colonoscopy with biopsy code with a PT modifier if billing Medicare or a 33 modifier for Commercial payer.

I concur with Debra. First listed code would be screening colonoscopy. The 'trump' to the diagnostic code is old guidance.

Hello, I'm a new biller and my question is about what ICD to use in this case, The doctor reports "No ulcerations, No polyps, no diverticulosis noted. Biopsies were obtained from ascending colon, transverse colon, descending colon, sigmoid colon and rectum Using cold forceps biopsy and sent for pathology." It's screening, so should I use 45380 with Z12.11,,, any other Dx? for the random biopsies?