Wiki Colonsocopy Screening Question

Justarose

Best answers
If the doctor says as his indication for the scope is "screening for neoplasia"

is that a valid V76.51 reason ...
isn't neoplasia a polyp ?

if he said screening for polyps I couldn't use the V76.51 correct ?

My QA auditor keeps bouncing around on me and its making me crazy - one day something is right the next day its wrong ...

I need some input on this one please ... is this a valid screening reason or not ?

Payer is Medicare

Thanks!

Hi

Hi;

If the patient has history of polyp or caner history, and patient came for screening than V76.51 shoud be reportable.

If smiply physician say patient is here for screening without any present complain than V76.51 should be reportable in this case.

Hope this will help you.. if you have any question or concern, please do not hesitate to contact me.

I feel haappy if i can help you. my id personal id is kumar_sanjeev02@hotmail.com
Thanks and Regards
Sanjeev Sonkar, CPC

If the doctor says as his indication for the scope is "screening for neoplasia"

is that a valid V76.51 reason ...
isn't neoplasia a polyp ?

if he said screening for polyps I couldn't use the V76.51 correct ?

My QA auditor keeps bouncing around on me and its making me crazy - one day something is right the next day its wrong ...

I need some input on this one please ... is this a valid screening reason or not ?

Payer is Medicare

Thanks!

Neoplasm is another word used to indicate a cancer. Cancer is an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. and the word neoplasm broken down means new (neo) growth (plasm).

I agree that you can use the screening dx code. Remember if the doctor did a biopsy and the procedure code changed from the G code to a diagnositic code, use the PT modifier.

Hope this helps. :)

I would request the H & P to see if the patient had any history of polyps [v12.72] or personal history of cx [v10.05]. If no history is documented then the v76.51 is used for just the screening. Regardless of the findings, the screening code should be sequenced first with any additional dx codes sequenced thereafter with the proper CPT code.
Just my take on this. :)