Wiki Common Carotid Artery Stent placement, help??

ttglasscock

Contributor
Best answers
FINDINGS OF DIAGNOSTIC AORTOGRAM/ARTERIOGRAM: Normal Great arch anatomy, moderate to severe stenosis orifice of the Left CCA successfully treated with 8x27mm BE PTA/Stent w/o embolic protection, Severe short segment LICA stenosis. Normal vertebral arteries Bilaterally, Minimal RICA stenosis, Mild proximal inominate artery stenosis. Normal Intracranial carotid circulation with brisk cross-filling Right to Left. Pt. would benefit from Left CEA. My office will schedule.

EXAM: Arch Aortogram, Aoritic catheterization, Selective RCCA catheterization, Selective LCCA catheterization Bil. Cervical carotid arteriography, Bil. Cerebral Carotid arteriography. Left Common carotid artery angioplasty and stent placement without EPD

PROCEDURE: After informed consent was obtained the Right groin was prepped in a sterile fashion and the right Common Femoral artery was accessed using a micro-puncture set. A 5Fr Pigtail catheter was placed in the aortic arch and arch aortogram performed. A 5Fr Simmons 2 catheter was reformed in the subclavian artery and placed in the Right CCA artery and Rt. Cervical and cerebral angiography was performed.. The catheter was then reformed and the L CCA was selected and similar images were obtained. 5,000 units of heparin was given and a 6F pinnacle destination sheath was placed in the transverse aortic arch. The Simmons 2 catheter and GW were used to cross the orificial CCA stenosis, The sheath was placed in the CCA and a PTA with an 8mm balloon was performed followed by placement of a BE 8mm x 27mm stent. F/U arteriogram revealed a widely patent Left CCA. Once all images were reviewed by me and found to be adequate, the catheter, wires and sheaths were removed, 5,000 units of protamine was given and a Proglide closure device was used. There were no complications.

I coded as 36223-RT & 37216-LT. But then I found out that 37216 is not covered by Medicare. Is there another code I can use for percutaneous cervical carotid stent placement?

FINDINGS OF DIAGNOSTIC AORTOGRAM/ARTERIOGRAM: Normal Great arch anatomy, moderate to severe stenosis orifice of the Left CCA successfully treated with 8x27mm BE PTA/Stent w/o embolic protection, Severe short segment LICA stenosis. Normal vertebral arteries Bilaterally, Minimal RICA stenosis, Mild proximal inominate artery stenosis. Normal Intracranial carotid circulation with brisk cross-filling Right to Left. Pt. would benefit from Left CEA. My office will schedule.

EXAM: Arch Aortogram, Aoritic catheterization, Selective RCCA catheterization, Selective LCCA catheterization Bil. Cervical carotid arteriography, Bil. Cerebral Carotid arteriography. Left Common carotid artery angioplasty and stent placement without EPD

PROCEDURE: After informed consent was obtained the Right groin was prepped in a sterile fashion and the right Common Femoral artery was accessed using a micro-puncture set. A 5Fr Pigtail catheter was placed in the aortic arch and arch aortogram performed. A 5Fr Simmons 2 catheter was reformed in the subclavian artery and placed in the Right CCA artery and Rt. Cervical and cerebral angiography was performed.. The catheter was then reformed and the L CCA was selected and similar images were obtained. 5,000 units of heparin was given and a 6F pinnacle destination sheath was placed in the transverse aortic arch. The Simmons 2 catheter and GW were used to cross the orificial CCA stenosis, The sheath was placed in the CCA and a PTA with an 8mm balloon was performed followed by placement of a BE 8mm x 27mm stent. F/U arteriogram revealed a widely patent Left CCA. Once all images were reviewed by me and found to be adequate, the catheter, wires and sheaths were removed, 5,000 units of protamine was given and a Proglide closure device was used. There were no complications.

I coded as 36223-RT & 37216-LT. But then I found out that 37216 is not covered by Medicare. Is there another code I can use for percutaneous cervical carotid stent placement?

Ask your doc if there was a filter placed before stent placement. There is no documentation of the filter, so right now, you have 36216.
HTH,
Jim Pawloski, CIRCC

Help?

The doctor says there was no placed before the stent. Will Medicare cover any other code for carotid stent? What about C1876?

Can I code 36223 for the right side CCA catheterization as well?

The doctor says there was no placed before the stent. Will Medicare cover any other code for carotid stent? What about C1876?

Can I code 36223 for the right side CCA catheterization as well?

Medicare will only cover the stent w/ distal embolic protection. As for the other vessel examined, yes they are billable.
HTH,
Jim Pawloski, CIRCC