Wiki Comparable code needed for Magnetic Rod Lengthening during OV

mshaw530

Contributor
Best answers
I'm looking for a comparable code to use for the unlisted procedure code for lengthening of the magnetic rods placed for scoliosis. They were being billed out inclusive to the E/M (99215 w/ a time statement), but now our compliance education wants them billed out under an unlisted procedure code but I have no clue what to use as a comparison code.
Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks~!

Mandi Shaw, CPC
Peds Orthopedics/Plastics

Comparable code needed for magnetic rod lengthening

We use the unlisted code for Ortho Magnetic Bone Lengthening...... CPT 22849 however, In the June 2018 Orthopedic Coders Pink Sheet, the following article was published:

Check code 20696 for implant, expansion of limb-lengthening device:

Question: Our surgeon has begun to implant limb-lengthening instrumentation that uses magnets to expand as the patient grows. We are wondering how to report encounters when patient comes in to have the instrumentation expanded?

Answer: Consider using code 20696 (Application of multiplane [pins or wires in more than one plane], unilateral, external fixation with stereotactic computer-assisted adjustment [e.g., spatial frame], including imaging; initial and subsequent alignment, assessment, and computation of adjustment schedule).

The code covers all services within the 90-day global period related to placement and adjustment of the limb-lengthening instrumentation your surgeon is using.
So report code 20696, which reimburses at $1,248 (national allowable rate), just once to all surgical services related to the limb-lengthening procedure during that time.
You’ll need to check with the payer to see how adjustments should be reported after that period. Some may include the service as part of the office visit.

I will be contacting Decision Health regarding the above article for clarification.