Wiki Complexity of data

blaymon

Networker
Best answers
The guidelines state:
"Ordering a test may include those considered, but not selected after shared decision making. For example, a patient may request diagnostic imaging
that is not necessary for their condition and discussion of the lack of benefit may be required. Alternatively, a test may normally be performed, but due to the risk for a specific patient it is not ordered. These considerations must be documented."

Elsewhere in the guidelines it states:
"The risk of complications and/or morbidity or mortality of patient management decisions made at the
visit, associated with the patient’s problem(s), the diagnostic procedure(s), treatment(s). This includes
the possible management options selected and those considered but not selected, after shared MDM
with the patient and/or family. For example, a decision about hospitalization includes consideration of
alternative levels of care. Examples may include a psychiatric patient with a sufficient degree of
support in the outpatient setting or the decision to not hospitalize a patient with advanced dementia
with an acute condition that would generally warrant inpatient care, but for whom the goal is
palliative treatment."

If I order a urinalysis, urine pregnancy test and a urine culture but the patient refuses and I document it appropriately, would that count as 3 points towards the complexity of data column or would it count towards the risk of morbidity/mortality column?

The ordering of the tests (or consideration of ordering) falls under the data category. I would count this as 3 tests ordered (moderate data).

The patient's refusal I would only count into the risk if there are specific circumstances. It could fall into the risk example of "diagnosis or treatment significantly limited by social determinants of health" depending on the reason for refusal. If the patient says - Eh, my symptoms don't seem that bad, I don't think I need those tests at this point, I wouldn't count that for moderate risk. I would only count the risks of having those tests performed, which would be straightforward. If the patient says - Hey doc, I understand you want those tests but I'm unable to afford having those tests since I have no income and lost my health insurance when I got laid off last month, that would fall into moderate risk.

The two guidelines quoted are for the two different categories of data and risk.
Data - if you consider a test, even if it doesn't get performed, you can count the data element of ordering the test.
Risk - if you consider a treatment, even if it doesn't get performed, you can count the risk of the treatment considered.
I hope that helps clarify those guidelines for you.