Wiki Consult vs observation

Best answers
when a surgeon is called to the Ed to consult and then he admits a pt for surgery and pt is discharged all in less than 24 hours. Would the observation codes or the outpt consult codes be used?
Please help.

Observation Codes

The Observation or Inpatient Care Services Codes would be used I would think.
These codes (99234-99236)state: "used to report observation or inpatient hospital care services provided to patients admitted and discharged on the same date of service".
This section also states: "For patients admitted to observation or inpatient care and discharged on a different date, see codes 99218-99220, 99224-99226,99217, or 99221-99223,99238 and 99239".
Hope this helps!

thank you i do appreciate your response but i was under the impression that observation had specific reporting guidelines where the dr has o check on the patient every now and then to report these codes. in these cases the dr sees the patient in the ED and determines the need for emergency surgery and then the next time he sees the patient is in the OR. then he does a post op check (which would be part of the global).
if any one has supporting documentation for their views on this it would be very helpful.
thank you
:confused: