Consulting questions

ccaldewey

Networker
Best answers
I've been asked by a former boss to audit surgical codes for a new practice that she's managing. She would also like me to help set up chargemasters, advise the physicians on compliance/coding points. I've never done this on an independent basis, and I have no idea how much to charge for these services (this would be on my own time--I work full-time now in a salaried supervisory position). Can anyone offer some advice on how to set up fees? I estimate that I will be working 10-15 hours/week to start and less as time goes by (spot audits).
Thank you in advance for your assistance!
Carrie

debi

Best answers
consulting questions

I could use some help with the billing fees as well. Same situation without the charge master.

feliciathomas

Networker
Best answers
You should start by using the Medicare RBRVS as a base and set their fees by a multiplier. It is easier to bill and take adjustments when dealing with carriers.

krainey

New
Best answers
Auditing fees

Carrie,
I'm in the exact same situation. I'd be interested in any pricing information you've been provided.
Thanks,
Kristen

Best answers
Cpc, Mcs-p

Hello Ladies! I have looked into this myself. There are a couple of different ways you could charge. You could charge a day rate of what you think your services are worth to them or you could charge hourly. I would come up wth the solution that isn't over inflating but also pays you for your time. You have to remember that your services are specialized and are not what a normal employee of the practice would provide. Service prices can range from $75 hourly and up. Some companies will charge a flat amout of say $1200 per day depending on how long you will have to be there and how extensive the work will be. If I were to go into a practice and do a practice analysis, I would charge depending on the size and amount of work. If it was a small practice I would charge them Between $500 - $700. That is an extensive process that could take up to 3 days to assess. If it were a larger practice I would charge per doctor.

I hope this Helps!