Wiki consults

ls0403

Best answers
I am trying to come up with a simple protocol to assist appointment staff in making determination whether referring physician is requesting a consultation or if simply sending patient to us for treatment.

Would anyone be willing to share how your office handles this?

Thanks,
Lisa

Our practice is quite large, so our appointments are made mostly by our 'call center'. With many different specialties in our practice, they couldn't possibly keep track with such specifics. We book our patients as "New Patients" , "Revisits", or "New Injuries". Patients are screened requiring ins info, referring dr info, referrals or scripts with details for consultation request etc. Mainly, our Doc's make the determination upon seeing the pt.

Our office is very large also, so we have told the doctors what the requirements are and let them make the decision.

We have several smaller satellite offices though and they use a fax form that they fax to the consulting physician (for an opinion and tx) and the consulting phyisican office faxes this form back so we can keep it in our EMR.
Our doctors realize consults are not for transfer of care or f/u from ER but a true opinion and treatment and the word referring is not used. You must use the word consultation. A separate letter must be sent to consulting physician also.
Hope this helps.
Lynn, CPC:)

Thanks to both of you.

Lynn, can you give me an idea what your fax form says? I think that might be the best route for our office.