Wiki Contact Lens Prescription Coding Question

JackiKing

New
Best answers
My doctor analyses the patient's vision and physical ocular structure, then prescribes a contact lens for trial. The patient may return several times, and be fitting with different brands, until the proper fit/brand is determined. The prescription, fitting, and inspection are completed by the doctor.

What would be the correct code for this procedure? Should we be billing an E/M service with a -25 modifier also?

Can anyone provide clarification on the difference between 92310 and 92314? Specifically - What is the definition of "independent technician?" A technician is not allowed to prescribe contact lenses, so this is perplexing.

Thank you.

Still seeking information on this topic please. Thanks!

Last edited:
I can only tell you what we do, since our doctors write the prescription, evaluate the initial fit, and do any follow up appointments themselves to evaluate the fit, and optician only does the instruct of how to put in and take out the contacts, we code 92310. I believe you would use 92314 only when your doctor writes the prescription but then instruct, checking of fit, and follow ups are done by technician or optician. I hope this is helpful.