Wiki Contaminated Urine for Drug Screen - 80307

haney.angie

New
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Hello,

I recently started a new job and I'm auditing my provider's billing for CPT: 80307 (presumptive drug screening). Sometimes the urine is contaminated and the lab cannot complete the drug screening. In my opinion, the whole point of billing 80307 is for the drug screening and if this cannot be done due to whatever reason, we cannot bill for that CPT. However, that is based on logical thinking, not concrete evidence. I reviewed laboratory billing guidelines in the CMS manual and other places as well, but I can't find anything that says you can or you cannot bill for a contaminated specimen for 80307. Like I said, my assumption is that this is not billable if the lab cannot complete the drug screening. I believe it's inappropriate to try to bill this as a reduced service as well. Your thoughts? If anyone has found a payer reference for this, please respond with the URL.
Thank you so much!

Angie Haney, CPC

Hi...

I know this can be confusing- but to keep it very simple... If you cannot run the testing on the instrument, then you aren't receiving results, then you cannot bill for the service aligned to 80307. The code definition states "Drug test(s), presumptive, any number of drug classes, any number of devices or procedures; by instrument chemistry analyzers....

When a specimen is contaminated it doesn't even get on the instrument to be tested, so there is nothing for you to bill for. There is also not an appropriate modifier to add to this scenario. No test, no result- no service to append a CPT/HCPCS code to...

Hope that helps!

Kara