Wiki Contract Job/Freelance

haraml7

Guru
Best answers
Has anyone thought about Freelancing for medical billing and coding. Lets say working part time as a contract coder?

I went full time independent contractor last year. It's hard work and when you lose a client it hits hard in your pockets. Be careful of the "contract" status. You can go to the IRS. gov and look up independent contractor vs. contract employee. Know your rights. Make sure you are clear as to which one you want to be and make it clear to potential recruiters who like to say "contract" work. Just know that if you are a 1099 contract employee, the employer has certain obligations when it comes to taxes. Get a contract typed up that covers you and your client. Don't ever sign theirs unless you have read it thoroughly and if it doesn't cover your interests- include your own language in it as well before signing. If you are working a full time job and a part time coding job.... be prepared to work at least 60 to 70 hours a week combined and that you can still manage your personal obligations. I love being my own boss but I work harder than I ever did under the corporate umbrella- you have to be okay with that. I started out doing the fulltime job and part time contract. I quit my full time and then my part time client became my only full time client. From there I have gained and lost as is the nature of the business, but something always comes up to close the gap. Whatever you decide to do, just make sure you allow time for YOU or else you may burn out quickly. I hope this helps! Feel free to reach out to me should you have any other questions! tlallier@szionmedicalcodingconsultants.com

I went full time independent contractor last year. It's hard work and when you lose a client it hits hard in your pockets. Be careful of the "contract" status. You can go to the IRS. gov and look up independent contractor vs. contract employee. Know your rights. Make sure you are clear as to which one you want to be and make it clear to potential recruiters who like to say "contract" work. Just know that if you are a 1099 contract employee, the employer has certain obligations when it comes to taxes. Get a contract typed up that covers you and your client. Don't ever sign theirs unless you have read it thoroughly and if it doesn't cover your interests- include your own language in it as well before signing. If you are working a full time job and a part time coding job.... be prepared to work at least 60 to 70 hours a week combined and that you can still manage your personal obligations. I love being my own boss but I work harder than I ever did under the corporate umbrella- you have to be okay with that. I started out doing the fulltime job and part time contract. I quit my full time and then my part time client became my only full time client. From there I have gained and lost as is the nature of the business, but something always comes up to close the gap. Whatever you decide to do, just make sure you allow time for YOU or else you may burn out quickly. I hope this helps! Feel free to reach out to me should you have any other questions! tlallier@szionmedicalcodingconsultants.com
Thank you for this information. It is the truth for sure. I am a business owner looking for someone willing to work a part time contract job in florida and it's so hard to find someone who is willing to work without benefits. I don't mind CPC-A and willing to teach but that initial, willing to do whatever it takes, is hard to find. Thank you for this information I may need to change the way I am doing things to get some help.

Thank you for this information. It is the truth for sure. I am a business owner looking for someone willing to work a part time contract job in florida and it's so hard to find someone who is willing to work without benefits. I don't mind CPC-A and willing to teach but that initial, willing to do whatever it takes, is hard to find. Thank you for this information I may need to change the way I am doing things to get some help.
I messaged you. I misunderstood the question. I apologize- the way it was worded- I thought you were looking to become a contract coder. Please check your inbox and I'll see what I can help you with.

Thanks!

Is this a remote opportunity? I am honestly looking for something like this. I am currently listed as a CPC-A but have submitted documentation to have my A removed as I have been doing this for 3 years and currently work for US Oncology as a Coder/Analyst.