Wiki Contracting and credentialing/Places of service

lisner1204

Networker
Best answers
How do I add a new place of service to our insurances? Does this place of service have to be a part of our contract? Do I just add it to CAQH? I've never done this so I don't know what to do?

Thank you.

It's been a while since I did this, but as I recall it is fairly simple to do. You will just need to notify your payers of the new location through whatever process they have in place to do this. For Medicare, it's just a matter of submitting another 855b form (I believe this is still the form that's used but you may wish to call your local Medicare to confirm) - the form has a section where you can select 'add' and submit the new location information and effective date. For commercial payers, I usually found that the best way was to go through a network representative - they were usually helpful in making sure the information got to the right place so that claims payments were not disrupted.

You should add the information to CAQH for future use, but payers usually only access CAQH when they do a new credentialing or a review or renewal of an existing one, so that will not be sufficient to get the information out to all payers initially. Also, some payers may not necessarily use CAQH as their source, so this will not guarantee that everyone gets the information.