Wiki Corneal Abrasion

Jen12977

Best answers
What E code should I use for a patient who has a corneal abrasion due to contact lens scratching the eye?

I have the 371.82 code for the corneal abrasion due to contact lens however the book that I have which is not through the AMA states that an E code needs to be applied just wondering which E code would be appropriate for this. I wish the book I had was through the AMA because the notes are more specfic where the book I was provided is not which as you can imagine leaves room for errors. Any suggestions and help is greatly appreciated thank you .

I couldn't find an E Code either. My coding software states "use add'l E Code if applicable to identify the cause of the eye condition."

If all you have to go on is that the contact lens caused the abrasion, I would think that would fall under a mechanical complication code. However, 996.53 excludes contacts and tells the coder to just code to the condition, bringing you back to 371.82. I probably wouldn't use an E code in this case unless there were more specifics. If the record contained either the place of occurrence or what caused the cl to scratch the eye, eg "foreign body accidentally entering eye" E914, I would use an E Code for that.

If all else fails, I guess there's "specified cause NEC" E928.8.

I haven't used any of these with 371.82, so take this info with a grain of salt. I'll be interested to see what others come up with.