Wiki Corporate Integrity Agreement

I would love to hear comments on this! My initial response would be that the coder who comes in after the CIA has been initiated is probably less at risk than the rest of us. But I don't know, so I hope someone has a clear answer for you/us.

Although not an employee of the companies, I have carried out the Independent Review of one facility under CIA and worked with another group who was under CIA. In working with these establishments, I found one to be quite compliant, anxious for feedback and willing to adopt new practices to improve their processes.

The other group was not interested in real solutions. What they wanted was to pay someone to come in, suggest improvements, make efforts at educating the staff; however, this entity was not willing to maintain any gains made by me or my colleagues.

This certainly does not characterize all of them, I'm sure. What I've expressed are my observations only.

What I'd recommend to a coder in a situation with providers under CIA, maintain personal liability insurance. Be sure you're communicating with key folks, like the Compliance Officer and practice leadership. Also, the coder should seek out education on CIAs, make efforts at maintaining continuing education and really pursuing professional growth from this unique opportunity. If you work on any auditing or monitoring for your employer, that would be something to highlight later along on your Resume.

Good luck to you and hopefully this will inspire you to develop your employer's compliance plan and also expand your skill level.

First, thank both of you for your input. Second, Kevin, I really appreciate what you are telling me.

I will be doing the auditing and provider education. I am very excited and have a lot of ideas for this position. I have been auditing urgent care and this opportunity seems so much more exciting and satisfying.

I believe the providers are very willing to be educated and are excited to learn how to be compliant and code correctly, which, as we all know, is not the usual case!

I hope to grow and learn a lot from this experience and opportunity.
Thank you again!
Angela

Angela:

I'm very proud of my own work on the CIA front. It has helped me be less fearful in other projects I took on as an independent contractor. Also, it's great leverage later on in your career. Believe me, very few professional coders have the opportunity to cite work they've done on CIAs or in working with establishing a new baseline under the auspices of the CIA.

Good luck to you and although so much is almost cladestine about these things, feel free to contact me if you believe I could be of assistance. I do nearly constant provider/coder education in my current role and if I know of resources, I'm happy to share them.