MLWILLINGHAM

Networker
Best answers
I have a question for anyone using an AAPC Corporate Membership - As a certified coder I work in a billing office for a large multi-specialty practice - my job entails working with providers on their coding and billing (yes, our providers select and enter their own codes electronically) and also providing education and support for the billing office on coding and appeals. Because the billing office employs 3 certified coders, a certified biller and several other personnel were interested in becoming certified coders, management made a decision to pay for a corporate membership. The intent was to financially invest and assist our personnel to pursue education that would enhance their billing skills.

That being said, those 3 employees that were current members were asked if they wanted to join the corporate membership with the other 4 holding certifications and they did, however, of the 3 non-certified members only 2 are actively pursuing their certification (one of these has recently passed the CPC exam). Now more employees are interested in pursuing certification. Now for my question -

Is it okay to set policies that personnel will be covered under the Corporate Membership if they are actively seeking certification? And that they have to become certified (CPC or CPB, etc.) within a specified time period?

Thank you for any thoughts or input you may provide.

Our office does require coders to hold a coding certification. If they are not certified when they are hired they have one year from their hire date to obtain one of two coding certifications, since having a coding certification is a requirement in this position. However, I would think you would need to be very clear that this requirement is listed in the job description and job posting.