Wiki Correct coding of DM with wet gangrene and ulcer

In this instance, the E1152 code-Type 2 diabetes mellitus with diabetic peripheral angiopathy with gangrene has everything you need to report the code depending on what the documentation by provider states. So why would you need I96-Gangrene, NEC? As per Exclude2 Guideline in the conventions section, "A type 2 Excludes note represents “Not included here.” An excludes2 note indicates that the condition excluded is not part of the condition represented by the code, but a patient may have both conditions at the same time. When an Excludes2 note appears under a code, it is acceptable to use both the code and the excluded code together, when appropriate. Yes, the patient has gangrene but both codes need not be reported because the E1152 has both conditions covered in its description.

Hi,

There are exclusion 2 notes for both of these codes. Under the I96 code, the exclusion2 note applies to the diabetes code series. I would not see where you would need to also code I96.

Doesn't the excludes 2 mean that the codes (E11.52 and I96) can be used together though? Sorry, still kind of confused on this. Thanks in advance!