Wiki correct cpt codes for stress echocardiogram

Community Wiki

This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on AAPC for 30 days and have made 5 posts. Learn More
W
Correct CPT Codes For Stress Echocardiogram

If it’s done in your office, you can use CPT® 93016 Cardiovascular stress test using maximal or submaximal treadmill or bicycle exercise, continuous electrocardiographic monitoring, and/or pharmacological stress; supervision only, without interpretation and report and 93018 Cardiovascular stress test using maximal or submaximal treadmill or bicycle exercise, continuous electrocardiographic monitoring, and/or pharmacological stress; interpretation and report only with 93350 Echocardiography, transthoracic, real-time with image documentation (2D), includes M-mode recording, when performed, during rest and cardiovascular stress test using treadmill, bicycle exercise and/or pharmacologically induced stress, with interpretation and report.
If you were doing a transesophageal echocardiogram (TEE), use +93320 Doppler echocardiography, pulsed wave and/or continuous wave with spectral display (List separately in addition to codes for echocardiographic imaging); complete and +93325 Doppler echocardiography color flow velocity mapping (List separately in addition to codes for echocardiography), along with 93312 Echocardiography, transesophageal, real-time with image documentation (2D) (with or without M-mode recording); including probe placement, image acquisition, interpretation and report.

christymat24

Contributor
Best answers
Our physicians wants to start doing stress echocardiograms in the office. I would use the CPT code 93350 for the procedure but would I use 93320 and 93325 normally with a regular echocardiogram. The CPT book also has in parathesis below code 93350 that we could bill 93016 and 93018 would I bill all five CPT codes for this procedure?

charityelaine

Contributor
Best answers
We use the 93016 & 93018 with the 93350. (I've never used the 93320 & 93325 for a stress echo). The old echo code 93306 used to get the 93320 & 93325, but now we only use those two codes with the TEE. : )

brandyleigh23

Networker
Best answers
Our physicians wants to start doing stress echocardiograms in the office. I would use the CPT code 93350 for the procedure but would I use 93320 and 93325 normally with a regular echocardiogram. The CPT book also has in parathesis below code 93350 that we could bill 93016 and 93018 would I bill all five CPT codes for this procedure?

Our Cardiologists do the stress echocardiograms here in the office as well and we always ONLY use 93350/26, 93016, and 93018. If he were doing a TEE, I agree with Charity about using the 93320 and 93325 along with 93312. I would not include these with the stress echo. Hope this helps! ;)

Brandy Edmondson, CPC

Last edited:

Jess1125

Expert
Best answers
Just curious, why don't any of you use 93351?
I was wondering the same thing, if it is being done in your office and it is your equipment and you're doing all the components of the stress test you should be using 93351.

93350 is only when you're not doing all the components of the stress test (as in a test performed at the hospital and you're only doing professional component)

Jessica CPC, CCC

brandyleigh23

Networker
Best answers
I see what you are saying about the usage of 93351 if it is done in our office. My guess would be that since we are a multi-specialty group and our patients are sent over to Imaging Dept. it is not technically done in our office with our equipment. Although I will be sure to check into it! Thank you for the information :)

Brandy Edmondson, CPC

Last edited: