Wiki Correct Medicare Billing by physician to Inpatient Rehab Facility

Best answers
Hello.... I work for an Oncology group. We have a patient that is in a comprehensive inpatient rehab facility. Patient came into our office to be seen and have labs drawn. Our biller billed to Medicare as is and obviously it denied. Our biller then billed the claim to the inpatient reahab facility and she used 11 as place of service. Should our biller bill this to the rehab using a 61 place of service for comprehensive inpatient rehab facility or should she bill this to Medicare using the 61 place of service? We have never had this issue before, so we are not clear on how to properly bill this and who to bill it to. If someone could please offer me some insight to pass along, I would be forever grateful.

Thanks a million!

You'll need to bill the professional fees to Medicare with the facility place of service. If your office has any technical fees - e.g. x-rays, drugs or drug administration fees - those should be invoiced to the facility directly because those would be inclusive to the rates that Medicare is paying to the facility.