Wiki COSC Exam

mason63

Contributor
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
I will be sitting for my COSC exam in June. Can anyone give me advice on how to prepare? I have been coding ortho surgeries for a year and a half and spine surgeries for almost a year. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

omg good luck to you, I started coding just about 6 months ago and I am thnking of taking the exam, are you studying on your own, thru AAPC books?

Thank you! I got the study guide and practice exam through AAPC. I took the first practice exam which was I believe 36 or 38 questions and missed 8. I had heard the exams are a lot like the practice exams that they give you. I am hoping that is true.

I will be sitting for my COSC exam in June. Can anyone give me advice on how to prepare? I have been coding ortho surgeries for a year and a half and spine surgeries for almost a year. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi, I am considering taking the COSC exam October, purchasing the bundle package, I have great deal of experience in Orthopedics, not much with spine surgery. If you get any information and or responses and care to share the info, it will be greatly appreciated. Good luck on your exam!
CPCinPA

Tips for COSC exam takers

Hi, I am considering taking the COSC exam October, purchasing the bundle package, I have great deal of experience in Orthopedics, not much with spine surgery. If you get any information and or responses and care to share the info, it will be greatly appreciated. Good luck on your exam!
CPCinPA

Hello! Any tips about the COSC exam? Hats off for those who took the test already because I heard it's really difficult. Thanks in advance for the help :)

The exam is super hard! I've been at an ortho practice for 12 years, took my COSC last year, and I passed it on the second try. We do nothing at all with the spine in our practice, so that was the most difficult part for me! Do the practice exam, and any kind of study materials you can find (there are a lot of facebook groups who can help give you info on where to find things!) and you should be fine! Good luck!

Cosc

I've worked my entire career on the payer side and passed first go around (April of this year). It was definitely the hardest exam I've taken to date, though.
I used the study guide and practice exam offered thru AAPC and it was enough, but it was TOUGH! My exam didn't have a lot of spinal coding on it, which I was personally hoping for, lol. It did have a decent amount of finger/toe surgeries, though, which I wasn't as strong in. I think it's doable, but tab your books good in the ortho section, because this was the first exam that I actually ran out of time for. Good luck!!

Hi everyone!

I took the COSC exam in July and passed! The exam was super hard and I'm so relieved to pass on my first try. For anyone who is planning to take the test, please please please: practice reading op reports, know the coding guidelines, practice fracture and spine coding, tab and mark your coding manuals. Lastly and the most important exam tip I can give is manage your time really well!

Good luck :)