Wiki COSC Exam

karliegreen

Best answers
I am scheduled to take the COSC exam in a few weeks. Can anyone tell me what extra reference I should take and what all the test is like? :/ I'm nervous as heck

I only took my CPT and ICD10 books. Study your spine and podiatry if you are only doing general ortho, those were hard for me. The rest of it I felt was pretty general fractures, etc. I did some online webinars and general studying of the musculoskeletal system. Read everything I could read. I think it is stressful because there is a time line. Everything you read tells you to do what you know and then go back and pick up what you skipped, but that for me does not work. I am OCD and do them in order! :)

Oh thank you! My provider I work for does not do spines so I feel like I'm going in blind to this test. lol All of this is not cheap so I'm praying I pass! :)

AAPC does a very good job of explaining what the subject matter of the test is. The practice exams and study guide show exactly what you would expect to encounter when testing. You are going to have to code operative reports in this exam and there are complex spine and foot/ankle cases along with the other orthopedic subspecialties. AAPC also explains:
  • While there is no requirement, we strongly recommend that the candidate has at least two years of experience in the specialty. Please be aware that these are difficult, high-level examinations not meant for individuals with little, limited or no coding experience

I would highly recommend taking the practice exams and using the study guide. Treat the practice exams like you are doing a mock test, there is a timer built in.

I brought an anatomy book as my additional reference item.

AAPC does a very good job of explaining what the subject matter of the test is. The practice exams and study guide show exactly what you would expect to encounter when testing. You are going to have to code operative reports in this exam and there are complex spine and foot/ankle cases along with the other orthopedic subspecialties. AAPC also explains:
  • While there is no requirement, we strongly recommend that the candidate has at least two years of experience in the specialty. Please be aware that these are difficult, high-level examinations not meant for individuals with little, limited or no coding experience

I would highly recommend taking the practice exams and using the study guide. Treat the practice exams like you are doing a mock test, there is a timer built in.

I brought an anatomy book as my additional reference item.
AAPC did not update the practice exams, or the study guide from last year, I purchased it again and it was the same. They did refund me immediately.

Good luck to all and including me. I just did the exam and waiting results; I don't expect good results. However, I currently do pro-fee ortho coding. My work-flow is odd (re: OP/OBS and IP services), but I use software that gives me edits, etc. and I use a multitude of software. Taking the test w/books was hard (cumbersome) as I am used to typing everything. My providers don't do a lot of any spinal work, very minimal so I too went in blind, but I bought it so I did it. Hopefully, I will have the 1-free retake.