Wiki COSC Exam

Best answers
I wanted to post this for anyone who is studying or thinking of getting their certification in Orthopedics. I took the COSC exam around 3 weeks ago and was very Blessed to have passed it. I would encourage anyone who wants this certification to purchase the the online exam prep, the COSC study guide and also a new prep coarse that AAPC now offers online on Blackboard. The only downside is you have 2 minutes per surgery, personally that is not enough time to finish. I wish that AAPC would seriously take a look at time for this exam and increase it. Some surgeries were 4 & 5 pages long and very detailed. Also, others were staged which took time to figure out what was performed on each date. There was several spinal questions also. If anyone has questions about this test, I would be happy to answer what I can for any help needed.
Thanks,
Pamela Abshire

Thank you! I bought the study package with the 2 volume Coder's Specialty Guide, and when I saw that the 2 volume Coding Companion was allowed as one of the references, I messaged AAPC to see if I could use this instead. They said no. I asked if the 2 volumes (due to physical size) could be the "one reference of your choice", they told me to ask the proctor. I haven't done that yet, but I'm really disappointed they wouldn't sub the 2 volume set they sold me with one I haven't purchased. I'm also disappointed in how much E/M is in the training. Is there a lot of E/M on the exam? I was actually hoping to get better at coding surgeries with this course & exam.

Thank you! I bought the study package with the 2 volume Coder's Specialty Guide, and when I saw that the 2 volume Coding Companion was allowed as one of the references, I messaged AAPC to see if I could use this instead. They said no. I asked if the 2 volumes (due to physical size) could be the "one reference of your choice", they told me to ask the proctor. I haven't done that yet, but I'm really disappointed they wouldn't sub the 2 volume set they sold me with one I haven't purchased. I'm also disappointed in how much E/M is in the training. Is there a lot of E/M on the exam? I was actually hoping to get better at coding surgeries with this course & exam.
I just took the COSC yesterday and don't know the result yet. I brought Optum Coding Companion and E/M audit sheets with me but the time is really tight and I didn't have time to use any of those reference. Even as an experienced coder, 4 hours is not enough for 100 questions. I hope this message will not give you too much pressures. Good luck🤞🤞🤞

I have passed the COSC. Yeah(y):ROFLMAO::giggle:
Congratulations @Blackhorse!!! I did get approved to bring my 2 volume Coder's Specialty Guide as the "one reference of my choice". Exam is tomorrow, but it's snowing here. They've already pushed the time back 3 hours and I'm hoping they don't cancel and the roads are good enough to get there. I took the online training and passed the exam with an 86% using only 35 minutes of the 1 hour 20 minutes they gave me. I can't stop thinking about how much I disagree with one of the answers that I missed. It's not even about the score, it's just that it seemed so wrong. I guess I can just reach out to AAPC and ask for a better explanation.

I passed!! Even though I sped through the practice exams, I used nearly the entire 4 hours on this one. So thankful there weren't a lot of E/M cases! The surgeries were all lengthy, with multiple procedures, and as Pamela noted in the original post, some had multiple surgeries with multiple dates, and then the questions are at the end, but it's asking about each date separately. I wrote all over that book, and I encourage everyone to do the same. I mark out answers that I know aren't right, then I circle the answers I'm choosing. I do that in case I have to skip questions, and get off on my answer grid. Then, I'll have the answers to fix it. I added a comment on the answer grid about how it would be nice if the bubbles weren't squares. Good luck to anyone else taking the COSC exam!

There was not a whole lot of E/M. I found the biggest herdle was time. The other herdle for me was spine, since I do not code spinal surgeries. If I had to pick the #1 problem with the test, it would be time.I wish you all the best on your test.

I passed!! Even though I sped through the practice exams, I used nearly the entire 4 hours on this one. So thankful there weren't a lot of E/M cases! The surgeries were all lengthy, with multiple procedures, and as Pamela noted in the original post, some had multiple surgeries with multiple dates, and then the questions are at the end, but it's asking about each date separately. I wrote all over that book, and I encourage everyone to do the same. I mark out answers that I know aren't right, then I circle the answers I'm choosing. I do that in case I have to skip questions, and get off on my answer grid. Then, I'll have the answers to fix it. I added a comment on the answer grid about how it would be nice if the bubbles weren't squares. Good luck to anyone else taking the COSC exam!
Congratulations to you. That is awesome. The only way most people could make the time is to not even read the actual surgery report and just read the titles which is not a good idea.