• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten the password it can be reset on our sign in section by entering your registered Email Address or Username here. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..

Counseling Family After Death Pronounced

CrysLednum

Guru
Messages
105
Location
Edgewood, MD
Hello -

I have a Hospitalist who was rounding on patients and when he went to one patient, the person had expired and had been pronounced. The Hospitalist ended up speaking with the family for 30 minutes in the room (unknown if body still in room). I have looked through CPT and I am not finding anything that would be appropriate since physician did not pronounce.

Thanks for any input.
 
Discharge and Death Pronouncement

Hello -

I have a Hospitalist who was rounding on patients and when he went to one patient, the person had expired and had been pronounced. The Hospitalist ended up speaking with the family for 30 minutes in the room (unknown if body still in room). I have looked through CPT and I am not finding anything that would be appropriate since physician did not pronounce.

Thanks for any input.

Only the physician who personally performs the pronouncement of death shall bill for the faceto-face hospital discharge day management service (CPT code 99238 or 99239). The date of the
pronouncement shall reflect the calendar date of service on the day it was performed even if the
paperwork is delayed to a subsequent date.
 
Top