Wiki Counseling only

njbrown

Networker
Best answers
If parents come to office with out child for counseling on cochlear implant and decision to have surgery for child is that a billable service, and If so would you use 99499 unlisted evaluation and management code?

This may be a stupid question, but is there reason you wouldn't use an office E&M 99202-99215 using time spent counseling the parents about their child's potential cochlear implant procedure for leveling the E&M?

This may be a stupid question, but is there reason you wouldn't use an office E&M 99202-99215 using time spent counseling the parents about their child's potential cochlear implant procedure for leveling the E&M
Since patient was not actually with them did not know exactly how to code the visit

yes.
I fell down a rabbit hole with this question.
I was so certain, at first, but there seems to be very different takes on this question.

If there are any peds or geriatric med folks that can chime in, they might be better informed about this scenario. Some of the Medicaid carriers might have a rule.

Amy thank you I tried to open the second link but for some reason it will not allow me to do so therefore i cannot see the codes that they suggest