Wiki COVID 19 billing question

goldark1

New
Best answers
We are billing company and we have a client that is billing for swab collection and handling. Currently they are using CPT 99001 and 99211. The 99001 is being denied as inclusive with the E/M.

Does anyone know what other codes are currently being used to replace that or is it considered not billable at all due to the 99211

Thank you!

Billing for a 99211 or a 99001 depends on whether the patient was tested in the office or somewhere else other than the office. So to answer your question you can only bill for one or the other but not both at the same time. I would check your billing guidelines, too, as well as the guidelines of the insurance being billed so you know they are being billed correctly and to avoid another denial.

Last edited:
We had a patient come in (PCP office) and we tested her for both Covid and Flu. They paid for the flu but not covid (we used 99000). They said 99000 is incidental to the flu test and should not have been billed separately. Confused about that....

Good Evening everyone. This is a question for anyone that is a certified coder, I know that there are some of you out there, LOL. Is there a specific ICD-10 code that has been implemented for a patient that is being seen as a follow up from having the corona virus. I am curios as to what the answer is . I was not able to find the answer to this anywhere. I know that everyday this is evolving and new things are being discovered. I like to be in the "know" of what is going. I would like to do my job to the best of my ability and to be able to share my knowledge with the other members of my work family. I am attaching what i found on the CDC website but it does not clarify what I am looking for. Also in regards to the billing of the visit does the copay get waved as it does when the patients are originally tested or are the patients responsible for the remaining balance upon payment from the insurance or in such cases where the patient is uninsured. I have also posted this on the AAPC website.

I don't think there is a specific code for a follow-up exam related to the corona virus. The standard code to use for an encounter for follow-up exam after treatment for conditions other than malignant neoplasm is Z09 which I believe you would use for a follow-up exam after treatment of corona virus. The new codes related to COVID ICD-10 is U07.1, CPT 87635 and HCPCS level II codes U0001 and U0002. If you would like more information you can go to this link https://www.aapc.com/covid-19/#sars-cov-2.