Wiki Covid Vaccine and Administraion

oskolkoff

Networker
Best answers
Our EHR is not loading the new codes some time in January

COVID-19 CPT vaccine and immunization codes​

The following COVID-19 vaccine and administration codes will be effective once the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines have FDA emergency use authorization or approval. Please note the special instructions as code selection differs from traditional vaccine/admin coding.
Code selection is specific to the COVID-19 vaccine product/manufacturer and includes corresponding administration codes which distinguish between first and second dose.
Additional COVID-19 vaccine & corresponding administration codes will be created as new vaccines become available.
Do not report vaccine admin codes 90460, 90461, 90471, 90472, 90473, 90474 for administration of COVID-19 vaccines.
COVID-19 Vaccine & Administration Codes
- COVID-19 vaccine, 30 mcg/0.3mL dose, intramuscular (Pfizer)
0001A – Immunization Administration, intramuscular for COVID-19 vaccine (91300) 30 mcg/0.3mL, 1st dose
0002A
– Immunization Administration, intramuscular for COVID-19 vaccine (91300) 30 mcg/0.3mL, 2nd dose
- COVID-19 vaccine, 100 mcg/0.5mL dose, intramuscular (Moderna)
0011A – Immunization Administration, intramuscular for COVID-19 vaccine (91301) 50 mcg/0.5mL, 1st dose
0012A
– Immunization Administration, intramuscular for COVID-19 vaccine (91301) 50 mcg/0.5mL, 2nd dose

Any ideas what codes to use as replacements?

Thanks, Jennifer

What do you mean "as replacements"? The article is telling you what codes to use.

I thought about this some more... if you are actually in a position to bill the vaccine (I don't think a lot of us will be in a position to bill the vaccine - is ANYONE going to be charged for it?), you can always manually add the codes to your EHR, but your clearinghouse may reject it.

I was in elementary school in 1970-ish (first or second grade), and I remember getting a vaccine in school. We all lined up in the hallway and pushed up our sleeves. I remember vividly because I had to go in the nurse's office in private to get mine because I had on tight long sleeves and couldn't push up my sleeve. It was probably the Rubella vaccine, which was brand new at the time. No one was billed for it.

Last edited:
LOL.. I rememeber that Sharon.

How about diagnosis for these vaccine, I researched and did not locate any new ICD 10 covid vaccine administration.

We were thinking of dx: Z23...

They'll come up with a code, if they expect people will be billing it out. Give it time. None of what is being distributed now is being billed out (our area got some for first responders and nursing homes).

Are there an admin codes for booster shots?
These are the vaccine and admin codes that I have seen billed to us by providers. (I work for a medical insurance company)

91305 - Pfizer Booster
0054A - Pfizer Booster Admin

91306 - Moderna Booster
0064A- Moderna Booster Admin

91303 - Janssen Booster
0034A - Janssen Booster Admin

Last edited: