Wiki CPC-A cannot find a job even with years of healthcare experience

Community Wiki

This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on AAPC for 30 days and have made 5 posts. Learn More
D
The company I work for is in Milwaukee. We need coders!! Any resume's??

Lcovey72@gmail.com

Contributor
Best answers
Hi - I work for Ensemble Health Partners and quite often we hire new coders. Right now everything is remote, including coding training and Epic training. We currently have employees in over 40 states, as being remote, it really does not matter where you live. Search for coding jobs on ensemblehp.com. Ensemble looks for the best of the best, including new coders, so you must be highly motivated to learn and put in the effort.

Just checked out website - this job was posted 12 days ago - R002014 - outpatient coder, remote - nationwide.
Applied

Best answers
I wanted to update again! I landed an interview with one of the coding companies that I applied with recently! I had a phone interview with them today. I felt like the interview went well! :) One of the interviewers said that HR would probably contact me within a day or two. Anyone know if this means I may be offered a position?? This was one of my first coding interviews. I was a little nervous and wasn't sure what to expect. Some jobs that I've interviewed with in the past have hired me on the spot, or I've also heard from several days later. Thanks! I'll keep everyone posted.

KimberlyG

Contributor
Best answers
I wanted to update again! I landed an interview with one of the coding companies that I applied with recently! I had a phone interview with them today. I felt like the interview went well! :) One of the interviewers said that HR would probably contact me within a day or two. Anyone know if this means I may be offered a position?? This was one of my first coding interviews. I was a little nervous and wasn't sure what to expect. Some jobs that I've interviewed with in the past have hired me on the spot, or I've also heard from several days later. Thanks! I'll keep everyone posted.
Nice! If they mentioned you'll be getting a call from HR- that's definitely a GOOD sign.. HR usually will only call you with an offer!

Best answers
Great, thanks! I sure hope so! :) I'll keep everyone updated. I'll also try to document my journey as a new coder on here once I do start my first coding job, whenever that may be.

andepow

Contributor
Best answers
Hi - I work for Ensemble Health Partners and quite often we hire new coders. Right now everything is remote, including coding training and Epic training. We currently have employees in over 40 states, as being remote, it really does not matter where you live. Search for coding jobs on ensemblehp.com. Ensemble looks for the best of the best, including new coders, so you must be highly motivated to learn and put in the effort.

Just checked out website - this job was posted 12 days ago - R002014 - outpatient coder, remote - nationwide.
Hi! I have scheduled call with a Ensemble Health Partners recruiter this week. I'm excited about that. Do you know what the range of pay might be for new coders?

Best answers
I took that assessment yesterday. I was very nervous. Did they let you know your score?
I emailed them a few days after I took the assessment to see if I passed it. They told me I passed it & setup an interview. I had a phone interview with two interviewers last week. I felt like the interview went great! I was supposed to hear from them Friday or yesterday regarding the interview, but still haven't heard anything. Have you interviewed or heard anything?? Good luck! :)

carlystur

Networker
Best answers
I emailed them a few days after I took the assessment to see if I passed it. They told me I passed it & setup an interview. I had a phone interview with two interviewers last week. I felt like the interview went great! I was supposed to hear from them Friday or yesterday regarding the interview, but still haven't heard anything. Have you interviewed or heard anything?? Good luck! :)
Hmm .. that doesn't sound good to me. What that tells me is that either they just forgot or they went ahead with another candidate and didn't bother to notify you. If you still haven't heard back by the end of the day today, I would contact them again first thing in the morning when they open for the day about your interview.

Best answers
Thanks.. Yeah, I emailed them yesterday. I emailed a recruiter I had been working with & they said they hadn't heard anything regarding the position, they would get back to me. If I don't hear anything in a couple of days I'll probably email them again. I was excited about the interview, but don't want to seem "needy" lol..

Best answers
andepow, that's great! I hope you get good news. I haven't heard from Ensemble yet. They are one of the companies I applied with, but I haven't heard anything. The company that I took the assessment for interviewed me, but I haven't heard back from them yet. That company asked what salary range I was looking for and I told them my preferred hourly rate.

bgrasson

Contributor
Best answers
Keep a positive attitude- it took my about 3 years for someone to take a chance with me- stayed with them about6 months then moved out of state- landed a great job with a non profit who never had coders before. It was a huge learning curve bc non profits bill a bit differently. They took a chance with me and im doing great now! loving auditors the providers and learning more every day!

andepow

Contributor
Best answers
Keep a positive attitude- it took my about 3 years for someone to take a chance with me- stayed with them about6 months then moved out of state- landed a great job with a non profit who never had coders before. It was a huge learning curve bc non profits bill a bit differently. They took a chance with me and im doing great now! loving auditors the providers and learning more every day!
Thanks, bgrasson for the encouragement!!

cwilk46

New
Best answers
If you know anyone in the healthcare field that may be able to keep an eye out for any openings that they hear about and give you a heads up on them, that is the way I would approach applying for a job. Networking is definitely a big help, that is how I started out 31 years ago. I started working for a doctor as a secretary/receptionist/biller at a local hospital and transferred to a closer hospital near my home as a transcriptionist. I worked full time and took classes for my RHIT part-time. Once I graduated and passed the RHIT exam a job in coding came up and I applied for it. Take any job, even if you have to volunteer in the field until an opening comes up. I was very blessed with my career and how things fell into place. Don't give up, be persistent. Good luck to all.

Best answers
I have got my CPC-A on December 31 2020 and got RHIT credential in June 2020. Received an Associate degree from University of Cincinnati in Health Information Technology program in April 2020. Had several interviews but no luck so far. Need work experience as coder and Medical Records. Also tried volunteering in Medical records in nearby hospital but because of Covid they had stopped that. I am still applying alternative positions too.
After reading posts and watching Victoria's video it seems like I am not the only one who's struggling. But I think I need to have different resume for different positions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!