Question CPC-A employment

NancyBev

Best answers
I recently earned my CPC-A and even completed the AAPC apprentice program online but I'm having trouble finding employment. I was a nurse, still am, and am seeking a change. I have tweaked my resume over and over but am wondering what else to do? I'm just trying to get those first 2 or so years start in my career. Any suggestions? Anyone else had this trouble?

I am having the same difficulty unable to find apprentice jobs or employment in medical coding. I am a pharmacist looking to step into medical coding as a new career.

I'm glad I'm not the only one! If I figure out something that works well I'll pass it on. I'm reaching out to another regional chapter today to see if people there will have any apprenticeship or employment opportunities. Both of us have a good background in hands on experience with the world of medicine so surely.....

Hi, I am a nurse. I also have my CPC-A. I have been working remotely for several months as a medical coder for a facility in my area. This is my first real coding job. One of the recruiters for the facility found my resume online. They called me and asked if I would come in for an interview & I did. There was also a career fair at the facility that month and I went to that as well. I showed them that I was very interested in the job! I had to take a pre-employment coding test (basic questions over ICD-10 & CPT Coding) during the interview and pass before being hired. Fortunately, I passed the test. There were several coders interviewed for the job. I think that being a nurse definitely helped me land the position. My advice is to post your resume on online job websites, go to career fairs in your area for hospitals, clinics & facilities if you see them advertised! Make your resume look as medical/health related as possible. I put anything medical education related on my resume that I could: nursing education and license, coding training, CPR card, my volunteer work as a nurse, etc. Also, maybe try starting out working in medical billing or medical reception type jobs if you aren't having any luck finding a coding job in the beginning. My advice is don't give up! However, I will say that working as a coder remotely where I had never worked as a coder before has been a HUGE learning curve. I can't stress that enough. I personally recommend working in an office first if possible. Fortunately, I have an amazing team of co-workers that I communicate with remotely who help me daily. I ask co-workers coding related questions all of the time! One thing I have learned about coding is that you learn something new every day and it's a lot of research (reading ICD, CPT guidelines, etc.) However, it is possible to land a job as a new coder with hard work and determination! :)

Last edited:
Hi, I am a nurse. I also have my CPC-A. I have been working remotely for several months as a medical coder for a facility in my area. This is my first real coding job. One of the recruiters for the facility found my resume online. They called me and asked if I would come in for an interview & I did. There was also a career fair at the facility that month and I went to that as well. I showed them that I was very interested in the job! I had to take a pre-employment coding test (basic questions over ICD-10 & CPT Coding) during the interview and pass before being hired. Fortunately, I passed the test. There were several coders interviewed for the job. I think that being a nurse definitely helped me land the position. My advice is to post your resume on online job websites, go to career fairs in your area for hospitals, clinics & facilities if you see them advertised! Make your resume look as medical/health related as possible. I put anything medical education related on my resume that I could: nursing education and license, coding training, CPR card, my volunteer work as a nurse, etc. Also, maybe try starting out working in medical billing or medical reception type jobs if you aren't having any luck finding a coding job in the beginning. My advice is don't give up! However, I will say that working as a coder remotely where I had never worked as a coder before has been a HUGE learning curve. I can't stress that enough. I personally recommend working in an office first if possible. Fortunately, I have an amazing team of co-workers that I communicate with remotely who help me daily. I ask co-workers coding related questions all of the time! One thing I have learned about coding is that you learn something new every day and it's a lot of research (reading ICD, CPT guidelines, etc.) However, it is possible to land a job as a new coder with hard work and determination! :)

Awesome to know another nurse changing her career to coding! Thank you for your input. I will do the things you suggested. I too worry about the learning curve. Coding is complicated. It's great to know it worked out for you! I contacted my local chapter and they have been very encouraging. That, in itself, is helpful.

I recently earned my CPC-A and even completed the AAPC apprentice program online but I'm having trouble finding employment. I was a nurse, still am, and am seeking a change. I have tweaked my resume over and over but am wondering what else to do? I'm just trying to get those first 2 or so years start in my career. Any suggestions? Anyone else had this trouble?
Hi Nancy, I am a nurse as well and started my coding journey over 5 years ago in preparation for exiting nursing and going into healthcare fraud (which I need the coding experience for). Just like your path, I obtained my CPC-A and completed the apprentice program. It has taken me 2 years and many applications to finally find an inpatient coding position willing to take me on without the experience. I am working remote for a large teaching/trauma facility and in orientation which is expected to last 12-18 months. So I am extremely fortunate to have found an organization willing to bring me onboard. The only suggestion I have is to keep applying! I remember even telling them in the interview that the process for becoming a coder was disheartening because how can you get experience if no one will hire you to get it! They were excited to have me join as a nurse and commented "we don't want to lose you to CDI". LOL
I searched Indeed, LinkedIN and many other websites. Good Luck, and hang in there!

Hi pittstop - Sounds like you really got an awesome job! I was an ER nurse and trauma was so interesting. I’m going to keep trudging along. Maybe I can find something as interesting as you found. Gives me more motivation. Thanks for the encouragement. I actually have an interview later today so we will see ……🤞