Wiki CPC-A Hours Question to remove A

tonamoore

Best answers
Feel like a blooming idiot for asking but I cannot find any information on this on AAPC website. Hope someone can help.

How many hours does it take to remove the A status? How can you confirm whether the experience you are getting meets the requirements for this?

Thanks in advance :eek:

To remove "A"

Feel like a blooming idiot for asking but I cannot find any information on this on AAPC website. Hope someone can help.

How many hours does it take to remove the A status? How can you confirm whether the experience you are getting meets the requirements for this?

Thanks in advance :eek:

A friend of mine at the local chapter went through this transition. She had to get a letter from her empoyer on letterhead stating she has been there coding for that employer for two years. After two years, it took a while to get the "A" off. She also had school hours documented as well.

This is what is posted on the AAPC site under CPC credentialing and under Apprentice Tab:
Due to the level of expertise required of medical coders, the AAPC expects certified coders to be able to perform not only in an exam setting but also in the real world. In addition to passing the certification exam, coders will also be required to demonstrate on-the-job coding experience before receiving the full credential. Those who pass the CPC®, CPC-H® and/or CPC-P® exams but have not yet met this requirement will be designated as an Apprentice (CPC-A®, CPC-H-A® and/or CPC-P-A®) on their certificate.

CPC-A®, CPC-H-A®, or CPC-P-A® Status: Member's with an Apprentice designation are required to submit the annual CEU's while completing the coding work experience requirement.

Requirements for Removal of Apprentice Designation: Two letters of recommendation verifying 2 years of on the job experience using the CPT®, ICD-9-CM, or HCPCS code sets. One letter must be on letterhead from your employer. Both letters are required to be typed and signed and will need to outline your coding experience and amount of time in that capacity.

OR

A minimum 80 hours of coding education AND one letter on letterhead from your employer verifying one year of on the job experience using the CPT, ICD-9-CM or HCPCS code sets. Proof of education may be sent in the form of a letter from an instructor on school letterhead stating the amount of contact hours earned, a certificate/diploma stating at least 80 contact hours or a school transcript.

Because the AAPC has been going through some changes, I would call and press the # for CEU department.

Best,

Last edited: