Wiki CPC-A looking for a position

sdearborn

Best answers
Hello,

I am currently a high school special education teacher with 11 years of experience. However, I feel as though I am need of a career change. I received my CPC-A certification in June 2012, but I have not found anyone willing to hire me without experience.

I feel as though my extensive experience as a teacher has provided me with many skills necessary to be a medical coder. I have a great attention for detail, I have excellent communication skills, I am organized, and an extremely hard worker.

I have attached my resume for anyone who may have opportunities available for me.

Also, does anyone have any advice on how someone without experience can break into the world of medical coding?

Thank you,

Shannon Dearborn

Attachments

• resume.medcode.doc
    46.5 KB · Views: 44
how to become coder

Here are a few tips to become a coder
1. Volunteer your time in a medical group or hospital to get experience
2. Get any job you can in the medical field to get your foot in the door
3. Go to AAPC meetings to network

You should also realize that you will take a pay-cut to start in a new field. A new coder with no medical experience will not make much money. You may want to take a coder job as a part-time evening job to get your experience.

As one who accepts newbies sometimes, I can tell you an unexperienced coder takes a lot of a mentor's time to get them up to speed.