Wiki CPC-A looking for employment opportunities/advise

Corrina

Best answers
Good morning,

I am newly certified and looking for some feedback from other CPC/CPC-A's on your experiences when looking for your first coding jobs. I'm finding that most companies are looking for at least one year of experience. Are there any known companies that are actually willing to hire CPC-A's? Thank you!

Ive had a really hard time as well. The closest job I found was at UCSF Health. Its miles away but they are willing to train and a good way to gain experience.

Apply even if you think you aren’t qualified

I earned my certification in September 2017 on my first try.

I applied to a job pretty close to home. Went to the interviews and thought I failed miserably. Well, I didn’t because I got the job. I’ve been here since March 2018.

Prior to getting my certification, I was a full time Mom for 25 years. I am also turning 50 this year. I thought I would be too inexperienced and too old to get a job. I couldn’t have been more wrong. I did get the job.

So, my advice is to apply even if you don’t think you qualify, apply anyway. You never know what they are looking for. Also, pass the test the first time. I told them that (although I didn’t tell them it was by the skin of my teeth) and I think it helped when they made their decision.

Good luck!

CPC-A also can't find a job

I feel your pain. I kept a 4.0 in school and passed on my first try (with a decent mark). Still, No one will even grant me an interview. AAPC had a seminar back in May on how to find work. They suggested applying for work for a company that might have coders but be willing to take a different job so that they might hire you into that department from within. Also networking at AAPC events they suggested. Unfortunately, I have a commitment on Thursday nights and that seems to be when all the meetings are scheduled so for me this won't work. I still haven't had any success and since I need a job I dropped all my coding schooling and CPC-A designation off my resume so I can simply try to find an office job. I hope that you can find some suggestions from that seminar if you can find all the info from it. Maybe it will be different for you. Best wishes!

I feel your pain. I kept a 4.0 in school and passed on my first try (with a decent mark). Still, No one will even grant me an interview. AAPC had a seminar back in May on how to find work. They suggested applying for work for a company that might have coders but be willing to take a different job so that they might hire you into that department from within. Also networking at AAPC events they suggested. Unfortunately, I have a commitment on Thursday nights and that seems to be when all the meetings are scheduled so for me this won't work. I still haven't had any success and since I need a job I dropped all my coding schooling and CPC-A designation off my resume so I can simply try to find an office job. I hope that you can find some suggestions from that seminar if you can find all the info from it. Maybe it will be different for you. Best wishes!

Larissa:

Why did you drop the CPC-A and the Coding Schooling?

Network as you can.

I'm in a hospital doing insurance but the division as well as the division head 'knows' I'm in coding and this is a review to see how I do before they speak with the HIM department / Coding Department.

Work in the medical as you can when you get in the front door. Basically let them know you'd like to learn about coding but you won't neglect your job details. Make friends with the coder in the office. See what they can learn.

I handled prior to this RCM which included denied codes. Get the experience in Medical Under your belt even if it's front office and show your dedication and willingness to learn. And if you can't make chapter events, try for national or regional events.

I worked in ER registration as I was finishing school. I was in contact with the coding department and told them I was in school and wanted to come in on my days off to sit with one of their coders. After I finished school and got my CPC-A they hired me.

CPC-A also unable to obtain position

Good morning,

I am newly certified and looking for some feedback from other CPC/CPC-A's on your experiences when looking for your first coding jobs. I'm finding that most companies are looking for at least one year of experience. Are there any known companies that are actually willing to hire CPC-A's? Thank you!

Hello,
I certified in April 2018 and have not been able to obtain even an interview. I have been honest on my resume listing CPC-A and I studied the courses so very thoroughly. This is very surprising to me since I am in the Phoenix, AZ area where we are a retirement area with many medical providers. I am assuming it is the lack of experience, but none of the places I applied provided any feedback either. The other surprising piece is the nation's economy is suggested to be the best in many years and with many jobs going unfilled due to not enough workers....

For those who completed the course through AAPC or a college prior to testing (counts as one year), you should consider buying/taking practicode (counts as second year) to remove your A status. It should be easier to obtain at least an interview without the A status.

I'm in the same boat. Passed the RHIT and CPC exams in late 2016 and it seems like places won't even consider my application without any experience. I'm now the VP of my Local Chapter and I'm still trying to get a coding job.... I'm checking to see if my HIT degree included a full 80 hours of coding education to take one year off and I'm about to drop the $$$ on Practicode to take care of another year so maybe I'll be considered for something. Right now I'm a receptionist at an outpatient clinic but have very little contact with the coding department here. I would love to job shadow but most of the coders work remotely.

I knew it would be hard as a newbie but no clue it would feel quite this impossible!! I mean WOW!!

But I REFUSE TO QUIT!!!

I've been told by my coding mentor that Risk Adjustment or HCC Coding jobs may be a good option for a newer coder since it ONLY deals with ICD-10-CM codes (no CPT or PCS). Places like GeBBS, Aviacode, Altegra Health (changed their name I think). There's a list of companies more likely to give new coders a chance on the Facebook page for the JOBS FOR AMERICAN MEDICAL CODERS group.

Good Luck!!

In my experience, I have noticed that when it comes to getting a job, it's all about timing and networking (assuming you qualify for the position. Even if you don't, still try). There was a time where I would apply to jobs left and right, and would get nowhere. I even considered entry level jobs (which are needed, but I was overqualified at the time), and applied for those as I was getting more and more desperate. Still couldn't get anything, but I kept sending my applications out like it was never going out of style! I did land an interview and still didn't get hired. Then several months later, another job opened up which fit more my work profile and I applied. Interviewed great and was hired. Although this job was all about compliance, the company required me to become a CPC. Studied, took and passed the exam and is currently working to get the -A removed. I could have done this differently, but I persisted and landed a good job in a field I now love even more.

The point I'm trying to make here is, don't you quit trying! I can go on, and on about how my initial career has taken twists and turns (although stayed within healthcare), however I've been able to slowly build on each step I've taken. From Registration, to Healthplans, to Compliance, and to Medical Coding; each step has not been wasted but fortified my career and expanded my options. If you're not getting that coding job right off the bat and you're either a freshly minted CPC-A, or just having a heck of a time landing a job; strongly consider taking a smaller step down and start at the Front Desk, Billing, Registration, Credentialing, or somewhere in the Revenue Cycle field. You'll get to Coding soon enough and you'll be glad you did in the end.

Once you're in an organization, networking becomes SO MUCH EASIER! Make sure you keep your coding goal in mind and try to get your name across the Coding Manager/Director/etc. so he/she will remember you once you get to apply.

Good luck!

I was very fortunate (I have a lot of pharmacy experience and I am a Certified Pharmacy Technician as well), but this is what I did:

I took the course and passed the exam on March 23rd 2018.

I finished practicode on July 11, 2018 (thus removing my A).

I started slamming places that I found on Indeed, Ziprecruiter, Monster, Career Builders, Glassdoor, and Linkedin with my resume. I do not recommend Mommy Jobs online, since they have very few actual coding related jobs for the $85.00 they charge. I put out over 100 resumes in just a few weeks. My full-time job was finding a job.

I also posted my resume on AAPC, with an email and a phone number (this is the task that got me my job).

I was hired on August 3rd, 2018 for a full-time, remote position with a Revenue Cycle company that reviews other coder's work for both errors and areas where revenue can be increased.

Good luck and do not give up!! It is all worth it in the end.

Last edited:
Advice for first time coding jobs (CPC-a)

Hello All,

M recomendation if you are looking for a first time job.Try going through an temp agency on a contract to hire postion.They are usually more understanding because they are looking to fill postions immediately.So sign up with your local temp agency in the area and tell them what you are looking for and they will do all the work for you with making you seem like the best candiate.You still have to interview but atleast you have someone doing the leg work.

also even when postions say CPC with 1-2 years experience still apply you never know.

Looking for CPC or CPC-A to work on Claim Edits and add Modifiers in Loma Linda, CA

We are in need of a CPC or CPC-A at Loma Linda University Health to work on our claim edits and adding modifiers as a CIA (not coding). It is a great way to get your foot in the door to work for a hospital. Schedule is M-F regular work hours.

Please contact me at:

Neil Barroso
nbarroso@llu.edu
(909) 651-4659