Wiki CPC-A Seeking Remote Coding/Billing Position

cmsalerno

New
Best answers
Hi, my name is Carolyn. I received my CPC-A certificate in December 2021. I have been searching for an entry-level remote coding/billing position with no luck. Companies seem to want experience which I do not have (new to healthcare field). My background is in accounting. I would like to get my foot in the door so I am open to anything (part-time; full-time; intern). If anyone has or knows of any opportunities I would appreciate it. Any insight is also welcomed. I am more than happy to send anyone my resume as well if they would like it. My email address is carolyn.salerno@gmail.com. Thank you in advance!

Reading all of the posts about how difficult to find a position as an entry level coder is very discouraging after spending so much money and time studying, the CPC-A certificate isn't worth anything if someone isn't willing to hire you. I just got my CPC-A 01/22 and I was so excited now I am wondering if this was all worth it.

Reading all of the posts about how difficult to find a position as an entry level coder is very discouraging after spending so much money and time studying, the CPC-A certificate isn't worth anything if someone isn't willing to hire you. I just got my CPC-A 01/22 and I was so excited now I am wondering if this was all worth it.
I understand exactly how your feeling, I am starting to feel the same way. From my reading in the discussions if you have the time to volunteer to work as a coder it will also give you experience you need. I just do not think that after paying for this course that we should have to work for free, I know I cannot afford to work for free. I think that I will be doing some investigating in regards to AAPC and the CPC and CPB certifications because this is unfair to us.

Hi! As a remote coder myself, I’d say 95% of remote coding positions require experience. I cant stress enough that if you are new to coding, you’re best bet is to start with a health system. Also, from my personal experience, have a CCS or RHIT is more valuable to many employers than a CPC unfortunately.

I understand exactly how your feeling, I am starting to feel the same way. From my reading in the discussions if you have the time to volunteer to work as a coder it will also give you experience you need. I just do not think that after paying for this course that we should have to work for free, I know I cannot afford to work for free. I think that I will be doing some investigating in regards to AAPC and the CPC and CPB certifications because this is unfair to us.
It is unfair i spent so much money on getting this certification, and now it's not worth anything with the A at the end, how are we suppose to keep up with the certification if we don't have a job to pay for it?

It is unfair i spent so much money on getting this certification, and now it's not worth anything with the A at the end, how are we suppose to keep up with the certification if we don't have a job to pay for it?
I wish I knew. May I ask what places are you applying at? Location? Also did you have any prior education or work history before taking the course for the exam?

I wish I knew. May I ask what places are you applying at? Location? Also did you have any prior education or work history before taking the course for the exam?
I worked 11 years in the medical field as a biller and front office in a multi specialty group i was exposed to coding, i left in 2014 just as they were launching ICD-10, now i want to get back into it and now it's all about experience in coding.