• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

CPC Exam Preparation

Sassy1

New
Best answers
I was wondering if anyone, who recently took the CPC Exam could offer some tips/advice on taking the test. I was planning to take it this past weekend, but, freaked out because I didn't feel confident and fully prepared. I am hoping to take it in July. I thought that would give me plenty of time to study between now and then. However, I find myself stressing so much at the thoughts of the exam that I am having trouble focusing on my studies. It would be nice if I knew what I really needed to study most so that I wouldn't waste a lot of time studying things not relative to the exam. Any suggestions or advise would be appreciative.:confused:

hperry10

Guru
Best answers
Try the practice exams

Have you purchased the practice exams? The practice exams cover everything on the test and it gives you a good opportunity to time yourself. A coworker advised me to take each practice exam over and over until I got a 90 on each one. I took her advice and I passed the exam with an 84 on my first try. The practice exams are very similar to the real exam. If you choose the wrong answer you get a rationale explaining which answer is correct. Although the questions are different on the real exam the scenarios are pretty much the same and I remember being able to select the correct code on the real exam by thinking back to the rationales on the practice exams.

I also reread all the guidelines a week before the exam and when I took the exam I started from the back. I studied every night for 2 months. Also the CPC study guide was very useful. I may have learned more from that then I did at school. The harder questions are in the front. By starting from the back I had a lot of time left to think about the harder questions in the front. I tried this with the practice exams first because I found that it was taking me 30 or so minutes to complete the first 3 or 4 questions. I finished the real exam with over an hour to spare.

Sassy1

New
Best answers
Thank you for the tips. I appreciate that!!!! Where can I purchase the CPC study guide? Is the only place on the AAPC website? I did purchase the practice exams and will continue practicing every day.

Last edited:

hperry10

Guru
Best answers
Thank you for the tips. I appreciate that!!!! Where can I purchase the CPC study guide? Is the only place on the AAPC website? I did purchase the practice exams and will continue practicing every day.

I purchased the CPC study guide from the AAPC. It was very very helpful. I'm not sure if there are other study guides out there.

Heather