Wiki CPC exam time limit/cutoff 10 minutes early

Arizona5011

Best answers
Hello All!
I took the CPC exam on June 15, this past Saturday. The first time I took it, I didn’t get finished in time and had to guess on 5 or 6 sections (yes, it was a LOT). I ended up failing by 4 points. I purchased the AAPC practice exams and went over and over them and got my speed way up, which was great! My problem was this- My exam started at 7:30 and they began by reading the rules, which we know, takes a bit of time. We didn’t actually START until 7:40, this was when we were told to open the booklet and begin. Well, 5 hours and 40 minutes past 7:40 is 1:20; however, at 1:10 they said “time” and we had to turn everything in. At that point, I hadn’t gone through every question, but a majority of them. Most of the answers I hadn’t gotten to I had already narrowed down to 2 answers, and I just filled in answers quickly. I thought maybe I was just mistaken and had figured the times wrong. When I got to my car, I did the math and realized I had been right. They stopped us 10 minutes sooner than they should have. I know there is nothing that can be done now, but it’s frustrating, because I could have gotten 4 or 5 more answers during that time. ☹ Fingers and toes crossed that I passed this time, as I really don’t want to have to pay for the exam again. **sigh**

To my best recollection, "time" for all three of my certification exams began after the rules were reviewed (it's been awhile :)). Did anyone question the proctors about the shorted time in the moment? I would definitely reach out to AAPC about this. They can't give you back those 10 minutes but they should be able to give the proctors a reminder if they did indeed calculate the time incorrectly.

Did they not give you a 30 minute warning? I know our proctors on all my testing ask if you want a half way time and a 30 minute warning at the end. Usually they also ask if the end time is correct before we start. If it’s not, someone should have said something.

I'm sorry to hear that, Arizona5011. That's so frustrating! Were you able to get any additional information from the proctors about why your group was shorted by 10 minutes? That's concerning for anyone else taking exams that they also proctor. And good luck on your next test :)