Wiki CPC Looking to Add CHA Credential ??

debtate71

Everett, WA - 2009 President, 2008 Pres-Elect, 200
Best answers
CPC Looking to Add CHA Credential??

Hello...I'm a CPC and am looking into some more training for a possible auditing credential. I've found the CHA (Certified Healthcare Auditor) training through the AIHC. On the AIHC website, they mention AAPC backing and approved AAPC CEUs available.

So the questions are...

Does anyone have any info on this credential and/or organization? If so, any comments on going the healthcare auditing route? I really feel there's a large opportunity in this field and would love to have the back-up training, as well as my coding experience, to help find that "perfect" job.

Also, I see people on this site with multiple (and sometimes VERY multiple) credentials...is there any rhyme or reason to the order of these (ie. Joan Jones, CPC, CPC-H, LPN, CHA, RHIT...)?

Thanks!

I have no clue about this CHA. I've seen the same website as you, but really nothing more than that.

I can, however, answer the question about credential ordering. The correct way is academic degrees/credentials fall first (MD, MA, etc) followed by general credentials (RHIA, RN, CPC, CCA etc), followed by more specific (e.g., CPC-H, CCS-P), followed by most specific (e.g., specialty credentials, compliance and the like).

Now, there are folks who disagree with that order--although it is pretty globally accepted. One of the most common "order errors" is based on the idea of placing them chronologically--which is not supported anywhere that I can find.

As with anything of this sort, you pay the money to maintain them, so to some extent I suppose the choice is yours.

CHA credentials/auditing

I am currently certified as a CHA in addition to my CPC. A coworker and I completed this training at the same time and have found it to be very beneficial. It has helped us tremendously in our career goals as well as giving us furhter knowledge of the processes that support an audit.

It is completed via the internet, e-mail and some phone time with your Instructors. The lessons contain excellent reference material as well as teach you how to do a more thorough search for information to support your findings in whatever type of audit you perform.

Call the numbers listed for the AIHC and contact someone to get more specific inforation regarding lesson plans. (Norma Pattison or Joanne Byron)

As for advancement and reputation at work, it has helped the two of us develope the Audit department at our facility and shows the Physicians that we can help them with more than just the basic coding information, we can help them maintain education and compliance on coding and documentation issues. It has helped put us ina different pay scale as we are more specialized. By the way, my coworker and I are the only Certified Healthcare Auditors (CHA's) in the state of ND.

Good Luck
Jeanne, CPC, CHA

I have been looking at the CHA course offered by AIHC, can you tell me about how many hours you spent per week on the class and homework? were you able to do this in addition to working full time?
thank you!
Daniele, CPC