Wiki CPC Practice Test A, question 27

hedgehoggirl

Best answers
A catheter is placed in the left common femoral artery which was directed into the right the external iliac (antegrade). Dye was injected and a right lower extremity angiogram was performed which revealed patency of the common femoral and profunda femoris. The catheter was then manipulated into the superficial femoral artery (retrograde) in which a lower extremity angiogram was performed which revealed occlusion from the popliteal to the tibioperoneal artery. What are the procedure codes that describe this procedure?
A. 36217, 75736-26
B. 36247, 75716-26
C. 36217, 75658-26
D. 36247, 75710-26

I know we have Appendix L in the CPT book (p. 783). We didn't study Vascular families very much in my classes. Is there anywhere I can see an illustration of these families, i.e. First Order, Second Order Branch, Third Order Branch? I wasn't sure of the second code (it was answer D, which I chose wrong) and I am not sure why. Wondering at this point how I passed my test with my online classes... dreading my test in May... any help gratefully appreciated!

FOr this specific question you can take away 36217 because that is in the thoracic or brachiocephalic branch. 36427 is in the proper area of the body and then 75716 is for a bilateral proc which only the right leg was done. Modifier 26 tells you that you are billing for the provider.
Looking back at my training CPT book, notes that I put in from my instructor; labeled the first order as the Family. We drew a little circle and labeled it as the aorta(main flow), a vessel came directly out of the aorta this is called the first order or family. That vessel then branches into the second order and then the second order branches again and it is the third order. I hope this will help some.