Wiki CPC Practicum Module Coding Question

Nukegirl13

Best answers
Hi Guys-I am going through the CPC Practicum Modules before my course starts on November 1st because I received my books and can go through that now to practice. I have an example question about a small ear cyst that is a simple I&D cyst procedure which would be a general code of 10060, then at the end of the lecture video it says that if it was at a different site like the finger, I would have to go to the Musculoskeletal section of finger abscess to find that code? What I am confused about is...what's the difference between a general I&D cyst code for an ear vs. a finger? I mean....how would I know not to use that code again for a finger??? Doesn't make sense to me?

Hi,

I am in need of a bit more information as to what the exact wording is in the module you are referring to is as I am not getting a full picture. I can say however that a I&D of the ear and an I&D of the skin of the finger is the same code 10060 - 10061. I am not sure if they are just referring to the way to maneuver the CPT book to find the CPT you need a bit quicker without flipping to different index entries.

The question in the practicum is a simple I&D procedure which is coded as 10060. At the end of the lecture video it says that there are certain body parts that will have specific codes for simple I&D such as a finger abcess/felon which is coded as 26010. My question again is how is someone supposed to know which body has a specific code with it. I don't understand the difference between a behind the ear simple I&D procedure or a simple finger I&D. Why wouldn't they get the same code? This doesn't make sense to me?