Wiki Cpc respondiable

wadej

Best answers
I just started working for a new family practice. I am the only cpc in the office. I am concerned about some of the billing that has taken place before i arrived. Modifers are used a lot. Am i respondiable for other peoples mistakes?
Thanks

You are not responsible for anyone's work except your own. However, if you have knowledge of practices you feel are in appropriate you are responsible to bring them to the attention of your employer/manager/compliance officer. Document all discussions or meetings. Once you have reported your concerns it is out of your hands.

However, I like the avenue of taking advantage of the opportunity for education. It may simply be an issue of ignorance. Have source data to back up your position!

i too am the only CPC in a mid sized family practice. its very difficult to have to be responsible for others errors, especially when you are told "thats how we have always done things". I respond by simply stating that past practice is not always the best practice. I agree fully with prior response....documentation to back up anything you go to the table with. You may have to do this several times and show the results in order to build the trust of your supervisor/manager/coworkers. Good luck, and please, DOCUMENT DOCUMENT DOCUMENT.