Wiki CPC to INPatient coding

vjst222

Best answers
Can someone advise me on how I could go from doing Professional charges to INpatient facility coding? I am looking for a way to transition. I have worked n coding for over 10 years and I have no guidance on how to transition. I work for a hospital where I do the professional charges for physicians of multi specialties but I am ready to move on to bigger things. Please INBOX me with helpful suggestions.

I am doing ER coding now while working towards my Associates degree and RHIT credential. I have heard that this is the way to transition in, or you could take the CCS test thru AHIMA. Most inpatient facilities are currently looking for AHIMA credentials. Hopefully AAPC's new CIC credential will take hold eventually.

There's a company called IOD Inc., that offers a free/paid training course for 13 weeks to CPC's to learn inpatient coding. Contact Dan Cooke at IOD for more info.
The only draw back for me was the requirement of a mega high speed upload and download internet speed. Their IT dept. will be verifying your system.
Once completed they offer you a job. But the competition to be accepted is very high, so be prepared. Don't quit your present job and assume you'll be accepted or once your in the program,have some income backup in case you do not complete all 3 phases of training. You'll be out of training and without a job.
Hope that helps! :D