Wiki CPCD Exam

labutler101

Contributor
Best answers
Has anyone taken the CPCD exam recently, I took it for the first time and failed. There were a lot of questions that was not in the study guide or practice exams. I currently work for a dermatology provider for the last 5 years, and thought I was well prepared for the test. E/M guideline (grid method) and HCPCS codes are hard for me to understand. Any help about the test or questions would be awesome. My email is labutler101@icloud.com. I schedule to retake the test in about 6 weeks. I hope to find some body out here to help me. Thanks in advance !!

Hi! So happy to hear from someone in the same boat!:p I took it in July and failed with 63%! I found the E&M's really hard too, and modifiers, and closures. I used to code outpatient Derm and did E&M's, Mohs, biopsies, path, the works, but that was a few years ago. Despite the AAPC class, and buying the practice test, I still failed. Very frustrating. I'm retaking the test this Friday. This time around I did buy the AAPC study guide, and I am finding it helpful, especially the Top 10 Missed Coding Concepts (I tried to make a copy/screenshot but it wouldn't let me, sorry!). I think it's $45 for members, not sure if it's worth if for you. There is a practice test included with it that I haven't gotten to yet.

As for HCPCS codes, I don't know what was on your test, but both on the practice test and my exam, there are only 2 that I think think you really need and those are J3301 - Kenalog (https://www.hcpcsdata.com/Codes/J/J3301) with 11900 or 11901 (Introduction -Injection).
The other is J7308 (https://www.hcpcsdata.com/Codes/J/J7308) to code with 96567 (Photodynamic therapy). If you had any others on your exam, please give me a heads-up before Friday!! :)

I also found this, that I haven't watched yet so I have no idea if it's worthwhile or not!
But any little bit's gotta help, right?

So I took the
Hi! So happy to hear from someone in the same boat!:p I took it in July and failed with 63%! I found the E&M's really hard too, and modifiers, and closures. I used to code outpatient Derm and did E&M's, Mohs, biopsies, path, the works, but that was a few years ago. Despite the AAPC class, and buying the practice test, I still failed. Very frustrating. I'm retaking the test this Friday. This time around I did buy the AAPC study guide, and I am finding it helpful, especially the Top 10 Missed Coding Concepts (I tried to make a copy/screenshot but it wouldn't let me, sorry!). I think it's $45 for members, not sure if it's worth if for you. There is a practice test included with it that I haven't gotten to yet.

As for HCPCS codes, I don't know what was on your test, but both on the practice test and my exam, there are only 2 that I think think you really need and those are J3301 - Kenalog (https://www.hcpcsdata.com/Codes/J/J3301) with 11900 or 11901 (Introduction -Injection).
The other is J7308 (https://www.hcpcsdata.com/Codes/J/J7308) to code with 96567 (Photodynamic therapy). If you had any others on your exam, please give me a heads-up before Friday!! :)

I also found this, that I haven't watched yet so I have no idea if it's worthwhile or not!
But any little bit's gotta help, right?

The EM (MDM) questions, the HCPCS questions and some of the modifier questions. HCPCS question was about a biologic and I had no idea how to answer, question about Diabetes. What was the hardest stuff for you ?

Leveling E&m's, modifiers, although I feel better about those now, and closures. Today I've been cramming on E&M's, tomorrow is going to be closures and Moh's. Did you have much about burns on your exam? I didn't - fingers crossed I won't on the next either.

The EM (MDM) questions, the HCPCS questions and some of the modifier questions. HCPCS question was about a biologic and I had no idea how to answer, question about Diabetes. What was the hardest stuff for you ?
Oh! I'm taking the Practice Test in the Study Guide, and in the second question, part 6 - I KNOW this was never covered anywhere "Which of the following statements is true regarding loupe magnification?" WHAT??? How the heck do I know??? :mad:

Oh! I'm taking the Practice Test in the Study Guide, and in the second question, part 6 - I KNOW this was never covered anywhere "Which of the following statements is true regarding loupe magnification?" WHAT??? How the heck do I know??? :mad:
Loupe magnification is included, It is the what the doctor uses during the procedures. I had to look up what it even was when I started reviewing the study guide questions. I wonder how many versions of the exam there are ?

Last edited:
Loupe magnification is included, It is the what the doctor uses during the procedures. I had to look up what it even when I started reviewing the study guide questions. I wonder how many versions of the exam there are ?
And did you have questions about debridement to hallux wound ? And I do not remember a question about burns. And a question about non scarring hair loss???? and Hair plugs???