CPMA Exam and CPMA Study Guide

kfrycpc

Guru
Best answers
I took my CPMA and just found out I did not pass. I got a 63%. I had taken the online course and completed the 3 practice exams that came in the bundle I purchased.

My questions is: would is be advantageous for me to purchase the CPMA Study Guide?? I've read conflicting opinions about it, like it's just a repeat of the practice exams and/or course.

I need something to help me so I can pass next time!

Best answers
CPMA Exam

I too failed on my first attempt to take the CPMA exam after taking the online course and the practice exams. I studied like crazy during the class, extended my access a couple of times to continue studying and was so disappointed when I failed. So after a few months went by I decided I couldn't let it beat me and I bought the study guide, I don't know if it was the reason I passed the second time around or not, but I did pass so in my mind it helped. I know 2 other people that went through the very same thing and passed after studying with the study guide.

Debbie, CPC, CPC-P, CPMA

penny48

Networker
Best answers
Study Guide

Hi

I took the exam three times before I pasted. Don't get discouraged. I felt the study guide was very, very helpful. Most of all do lots of audits. Practice, practice and practice somemore.

Penny Lask

Chelle-Lynn

True Blue
Best answers
I used the study guide and passed the first time on the test. It is not an easy test, but with all my certification, I have used the study guides and found during the test that I was glad that I had used them as it helped to clarify what they were looking for on the test as well as a clear description of why the answer is a certain way.

rcrouch@crmchealth.org

Guru
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
I also passed my test on the first try. I only used the study guide and the 3 practice tests to prepare for the exam. I did not take a course. I felt the study guide was very informational. Keep doing the practice tests until you can get all of the questions correct.

Best answers
CMPA test

I just took the test this past Saturday, waiting to see if I passed or not. Honestly, I'm not confident that I did. I took the online course and studied the practice exams non stop! What recommendations can you give? Should i order the study guide? Will it honestly help with the retake?

jenngar

Contributor
Best answers
I have been thinking about taking the course but maybe I will start with the study guide first to see if I want to spend the money on the course.

Best answers
I also passed the CPMA on first try last April. Personally I just feel that the Study guide and 3 practice exam sets is all I needed aside from the fact that the online course is expensive, I suggest that you wait for some very few sales on their website. I got the bundle for 50% off last December 2016. I took the exam last March 18,2017 and got the result 4 weeks after-the agony. I wonder if some of you also experience same waiting time as mine. I almost wanted to fly into a rage if not just because of the final score of 84% at the end of the day. I heard the Cardio certifications (CCC,CCVTC) are always on sale every hearts day!

Ferdinand N. Bocala
RN, CPC, CPMA

Last edited:

jhofler

Networker
Best answers
How long did you study - months, weeks, etc before sitting for the CPMA exam?

I too, would like to take the exam. I realize that everyone's study time and outcome is different, but I just wanted to know. Thanks.

bells221@hotmail.com

Contributor
Best answers
Exam content

How is the exam divided? Are there coding questions like the CPC or is it more laws and regulations and some auditing?

twdevore

Networker
Best answers
CPMA Study Guide

Failed test #3, I didn't feel that the AAPC study guide focused enough on what I needed for the test. The guide had a lot of Starck and Lincoln law content and I don't remember much about those two items on the test. There were many items that I don't think were in the study guide. I read the guide, did the online course and did the practice exam multiple times and still failed a third time. I'm not sure if I really need to continue but I hate to waste $900 (!!!)...I already have a CPC and a CCS-P so one more credential isn't going to make me all that marketable. I'm VERY disappointed though. I felt very confident this last time and I actually scored 2 points lower than my second attempt. I may just write off that money and forget it. Very disappointed given the amount of time and effort that I've put into this.

Best answers
Hi everyone, I am taking my CPMA exam on the 29th of this month. I have purchased the course and the practice exams but when I tried to purchase the study guide for 2018 I found out they are no longer selling them! I know this is a long shot but would anyone be willing to let me borrow their 2018 study guide? Help!! :confused:

Best answers
Dont feel bad I have taken the test three times already and each time I got a 69% my biggest area of weakness is CPT coding. I have been doing risk adjustment coding for years. I need some advice on some auditing refresher class I can take to help me with part of the test. If I fail it a 4th time. I think I will hang it up and focus on other credentials.

Ryazzie65

Contributor
Best answers
Dont feel bad I have taken the test three times already and each time I got a 69% my biggest area of weakness is CPT coding. I have been doing risk adjustment coding for years. I need some advice on some auditing refresher class I can take to help me with part of the test. If I fail it a 4th time. I think I will hang it up and focus on other credentials.
I am in the same boat, failed the exam 4 times with a 69%. im taking it for the 5th time on October 31. if i fail it the last attempt, i am done taking the exam.