Wiki CPMA Exam-preparation course

dgerry

Networker
Best answers
I'm taking the preparation course in March but haven't scheduled the exam yet. Any recommendations for preparation in addition to the AAPC course would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I doubt I could've passed without the boot camp but here is some info I posted previously:

https://www.aapc.com/memberarea/forums/showthread.php?t=69746&highlight=jredline

Since I took my exam, they now have an online practice test that I'm sure would help immensely if you can't do the boot camp.

Good luck!
Didn't bother with the boot camp. I heard good and bad and didn't want to waste money I don't have. The study guide from NAMAS was all I used. NAMAS also have a set of 30 practice questions on their website which are good indicators of the type of questions to expect. You can also purchase practice questions from AAPC which are useful.

Just Took my CPMA Exam 12/1/12

I was wondering (Heaven forbid) if I did not pass my test, do I get feedback on the areas I did poorly on when I receive my results letter? I "think" I probably passed but I found the test to be harder than I remember my State Nursing Boards being or my Certification Exam to become certified as a Maternal/Child Nurse.

I bought the online course and Practice Exam and used those exclusively to study. One good tip I was given was to prepare all your books using tabs so you can go to each section quickly. I also printed out copies of the 1995 & 1997 E&M Guidelines and used those heavily in answering the questions. My test came with an E&M Audit tool that I found was not very helpful so luckily I brought one with me that was better. Also, I brought along my OLD Tabers Medical Dictionary (the CPMA exam allows a Medical Dictionary) I used in Nursing School in the 1980's and used it for some of the questions. I also used the test taking tip for questions you aren't sure of to go ahead and eliminate all the answers you know to exclude as being incorrect. I then used post it notes to flag those pages and wrote a brief description of the type of question I had skipped. In addition to post it notes I brought highlighters in two colors that did not have separate caps to take on and off. The ones I brought could be clicked to use the highlighter and then click to retract. I also brought a separate eraser to make sure I erased any incorrect answer enough when I changed my answer. Later if I came across a similar topic, I compared the two questions and their answers to further eliminate any "left over" incorrect answers. I found using that technique helped me discover some correct answers later on in the test and also made it easier to know which questions to return to once I had worked all the "easier" ones first. If you find you are going to run out of time, make sure you at least mark an answer for every question even if it is means you randomly mark A, B, C or D without even reading the question. If you do that you have at least a 1 in 4 chance of possibly picking the right answer because you can miss a certain number of questions (I could not find the exact amount) and still pass.

If your background is not heavy into Coding then I would definitely study those areas the most.

Thanks to everyone who posted. I'm glad I signed up for the test. I have plenty of time to look through the other documentation prior to the bootcamp since it's not until March!

Took the CPMA test July 13th and passed! It was a difficult exam - much harder than the CPC - it took me 5 hours and 10 minutes. Just glad I passed!

CPMA exam

Congrats.

I am also trying to take up the CPMA exam but , I dont know how to capture all the subject in my mind.

could be please give some guidance

thanks