Wiki Cpma

Thanks Brenda! I also sent them an email suggesting that perhaps they could send out an email to all of us participating in the beta test explaining the delay and reasons. Seems only fair. I think enough of us have inquired to make them realize we are all quite curious...
I too will stop checking multiple times and on the weekends!!

Thank you !

Hi All;

I'm so delighted to find this thread regarding the CPMA Beta Exam! Knowing I am not alone in my excruciating wait for my Exam results from 12/05/09 is great!

I studied the thousands of pages of links they sent us on compliance issues but apparently did not study the specific stuff they asked on the exam so I did a lot of guessing. Luckily, some of seemed to be common sense. I totally suggest they rename this from the Certified Professional Medical Auditor (CPMA) to the Certified Professional Compliance Officer (CPCO) :eek:)

QUestion:

Does anyone know the score needed to pass? Is it 70% or 80%? I am not having any luck finding that information.

Thank you; have a Merry Christmas!

Susan R, CPC, CEMC

It makes me wonder if they are going to wait in releasing the results of the test until everyone who was scheduled to take the beta exam is complete. My rescheduled exam (due to inclimate weather) is 12-30. That should be the last of us for December... Just a thought...

Congrats

Rebecca;

Congrats on being able to take the exam while it is still a BETA; I'm very excited for you, I think this is a great opportunity provided by the AAPC.

Study your compliance issues and good luck!

Susan R, CPC, CEMC
And POSSIBLE CPMA :D

CPMA Test

I took the test on the 19th and found it to be extremely harder than any test I can remember ever taking. I was very disappointed that there were not enough resources allowed. I even questioned them on that when they sent the email stating what books were allowed. They definitley need to allow resources pertaining to Compliance regulations and guidelines. But I'll just see what happens. The proctor had us put our comments on the back of the exam grid not in the book, so I ran our of space. I guess I'll send an email to the Exam Dept. Good Luck to all that took the test!

Kaye

Hi All;

I'm so delighted to find this thread regarding the CPMA Beta Exam! Knowing I am not alone in my excruciating wait for my Exam results from 12/05/09 is great!

I studied the thousands of pages of links they sent us on compliance issues but apparently did not study the specific stuff they asked on the exam so I did a lot of guessing. Luckily, some of seemed to be common sense. I totally suggest they rename this from the Certified Professional Medical Auditor (CPMA) to the Certified Professional Compliance Officer (CPCO) :eek:)

QUestion:

Does anyone know the score needed to pass? Is it 70% or 80%? I am not having any luck finding that information.

Thank you; have a Merry Christmas!

Susan R, CPC, CEMC

Susan, that is exactly what I said earlier in this thread. This CPMA credential does not give the recognition the test taker deserves. This is a COMPLIANCE certification. I'm also happy to hear that the test scores that they posted earlier by mistake are being reviewed due to the feedback on the Beta test. I want to say the passing grade is 70%. Good luck! I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas and prosperous 2010!!!:D

Thanks Brenda! I also sent them an email suggesting that perhaps they could send out an email to all of us participating in the beta test explaining the delay and reasons. Seems only fair. I think enough of us have inquired to make them realize we are all quite curious...
I too will stop checking multiple times and on the weekends!!

Lisa,

Was the OB/ GYN test as excruciating as the CPMA? What resource guide did you use? What resource guide did you WISH you would have had? Thanks for any help. I think that's my next specialty; either that or CPC-I.

Also, I talked to AAPC yesterday; our results will be posted after January 1st; they are reviewing all the booklets, exams, etc over the holiday. The response has been overwhelming for them, I'm sure. I'm just excited to have been part of the BETA Exam opportunity!

The funny part is the lady I spoke with said "someone" had suggested an email to go out to the BETA Exam participants and she thought that was a great idea! I said "oh, that had to be Lisa!" :p

I guess we'll all know our results soon; good luck to all of us!

~ Susan R; CPC, CEMC
POSSIBLE CPMA :D

I took the test on the 19th and found it to be extremely harder than any test I can remember ever taking. I was very disappointed that there were not enough resources allowed. I even questioned them on that when they sent the email stating what books were allowed. They definitley need to allow resources pertaining to Compliance regulations and guidelines. But I'll just see what happens. The proctor had us put our comments on the back of the exam grid not in the book, so I ran our of space. I guess I'll send an email to the Exam Dept. Good Luck to all that took the test!

Kaye

Email them soon, Kaye; I think they're trying to get all the comments in to grade all the BETA's so it's fair to everyone. Good luck!

Susan R, CPC, CEMC

Lisa,

Was the OB/ GYN test as excruciating as the CPMA? What resource guide did you use? What resource guide did you WISH you would have had? Thanks for any help. I think that's my next specialty; either that or CPC-I.

Also, I talked to AAPC yesterday; our results will be posted after January 1st; they are reviewing all the booklets, exams, etc over the holiday. The response has been overwhelming for them, I'm sure. I'm just excited to have been part of the BETA Exam opportunity!

The funny part is the lady I spoke with said "someone" had suggested an email to go out to the BETA Exam participants and she thought that was a great idea! I said "oh, that had to be Lisa!" :p

I guess we'll all know our results soon; good luck to all of us!

~ Susan R; CPC, CEMC

LOL - yes, it was me. I spoke with Wendy at the Academy yesterday...she called about my email. Said she was going to try to get an email out to all of us. As for the COBGC exam, it was much easier than the CPMA and I used the OBGYN coding companion as my additional resourse. I don't have a good feeling about the CPMA, but that's ok. We'll see soon enough! At least we now know they aren't posting them until after the first. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

LOL - yes, it was me. I spoke with Wendy at the Academy yesterday...she called about my email. Said she was going to try to get an email out to all of us. As for the COBGC exam, it was much easier than the CPMA and I used the OBGYN coding companion as my additional resourse. I don't have a good feeling about the CPMA, but that's ok. We'll see soon enough! At least we now know they aren't posting them until after the first. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

It sure would have been a great Christmas present to see that "PASS" again on the website for my CPMA. Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait. I'm sure they were expecting all of us to jump on another 5 1/2 hour test at the holidays.

Merry Christmas to all and Happy New Year!

I know that we all wrote our comments in our booklets, but I want to make sure that we are not suppose to 'email' them our comments.
Or they are just going to email us an update as to when we are going to get our results?
Sorry, this has been such an ordeal!!
Happy Holidays to all my fellow BETA testers. (and everyone else)
Jamie Salup, CPC, CEMC, COBGC, COSC

Last edited:
I know that we all wrote our comments in our booklets, but I want to make sure that we are not suppose to 'email' them our comments.
Or they are just going to email us an update as to when we are going to get our results?
Sorry, this has been such an ordeal!!
Happy Holidays to all my fellow BETA testers. (and everyone else)
Jamie Salup, CPC, CEMC, COBGC, COSC

Hi Jamie;

We don't have to email our comments, I think a lot of us did. I for one, was too tired to make all the comments in the BETA Exam booklet so I emailed my responses. Good luck, we should find out our results soon!

Susan R, CPC, CEMC

cpma

I'm with you Susan. I was exhausted when I completed the exam and my head was spinning, so I waited a few days and emailed my comments. I got an email back in just a little bit saying they would be passed on and my results would be posted after the first of the year.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for all of us!

Michele R Hayes, CPC, CEMC, CGIG, ?CPMA

Hi Evangelina,
How was the test do you make any recommendations on what you should review before taking the test.
Thanks

Hi Evangelina,
How was the test do you make any recommendations on what you should review before taking the test.
Thanks

Hi Sammie,
I posted my suggestions earlier in this thread, which basically reiterate what is posted on this site already. Just like all of us have said, there are some questions on the test that I wonder where the resource material is coming from. Only time will tell when they review our feedback. Good luck Sammie. Everyone Have a Happy & Safe New Year!:D

I am not expecting our results Jan. 1. When they say after the first of the year that could mean by the end of January. I understand they have all these comments to go through but we should at least find out the results by our 6 week mark. I too was too exhausted to leave a good deal of feedback. Some of the questions I made notes by. I don't see how a study guide will be enough to prepare someone for this exam.

Ready for Results!

I was told that they hope to post results by 1/9/2010. Good luck to us all!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I'm ready for results anytime! I thought it was going to be today, but I guess I can wait until the 9th since I have no choice! :eek:

Good luck to all of us!

Does anyone know where our new CPMA credential will go in the initials? Is it before the CPC or after the specialty initials?

Susan Reehill, CPC, CEMC
Possible CPMA :D

When mine was posted prematurely the CPMA was after the CPC and then the CEMC. I guess because it was a core credential it will be listed before any specialty credentials.

Last edited:
I was just wandering if anybody has heard anymore news of when the results maybe posted? Or our they still by the 9th? Thank you

Results

Okay, dying for results!! Tomorrow is the the last work day of the week ... maybe when we get to work in the morning!

Susan R, CPC, CEMC
Probable CPMA :D

I agree, I'm dying for the results! I do have one comment about the E/M portion of both the CEMC and CPMA. How on earth are you supposed to tell the difference between a 95 and 97 exam? According to the guidelines, you can have either one. My feedback is that any question that makes you choose between those two when it comes to the exam should be thrown out as two answers are correct. What are others thoughts?

difference 1995 vs 1997 exams

Actually I think it is important to test the ability of a coder to differentiate in audting using 1995 vs 1997 guidelines. So I have no problem at all with questions on the exam that ask you to do this. I haven't taken the CPMA but when I took the CEMC I seem to recall more than one note that we were asked to code using 1995 and then asked to code using 1997.

That is a key skill, in my opinion, for an auditor.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

Tessa,

I appreciate your feedback. My question is then, how do you differentiate between whether an exam is expanded problem focused or detailed using the 1995 guidelines?

Amy B. CPC, CEMC

I am a little perturbed about the results not being available today. Who told you that the results would be posted by the 9th of this month? The 9th is on a Sat. I doubt those results would be posted on the site on a Sat. If they aren't up by Monday I am calling the AAPC. This is getting a little ridiculous.

Amy,
In response to your 95 exam question-let's say the patient presents with left wrist pain. Here are two examples of the exam portion:

"Vitals are noted, patient appears to be in mild discomfort. The exam of the wrist shows moderate swelling and tenderness."

Compare that to:

"Vitals are noted, patient appears to be in mild discomfort. Range of motion of the left wrist appears to be decreased with moderate tenderness noted when compared with that of the right wrist. There are contusions on the palm of the hand presumably from the injury. Negative tinel's sign, vascular appears intact, no obvious malformations".

I would consider the first exam expanded problem focused since there is limited documentation of the wrist exam with the additional documentation of the vitals. The second exam of the wrist is much more detailed and shows the in-depth documentation of wrist exam when compared to the first example. The provider may have done the same exam in both examples, but, in my opinion, the documentation of the first note is not detailed.

I hope this helps,

P.S. Still waiting for my CPMA results...really hoping we all hear something today! Good luck all!

I am a little perturbed about the results not being available today. Who told you that the results would be posted by the 9th of this month? The 9th is on a Sat. I doubt those results would be posted on the site on a Sat. If they aren't up by Monday I am calling the AAPC. This is getting a little ridiculous.

We're all ready, Wendy. :eek: Are you going to change your log in to put your CPMA in it? I will call Monday as well if the results are not posted.

Patiently waiting... sort of.

Susan R, CPC, CEMC
Probalbe CPMA :D

Correct me if I am wrong, but the credentials behind your log-in are assigned by AAPC. You can select the credentials you would like behind your signature here.

I Passed!!!! Check your email. They emailed me even though the website isn't updated yet.

Last edited:
No email for me. I know I've passed because my results were posted prematurely with a passing score. Did you guys email them first? I'm very discouraged.

Wendy, No email for me, either; yet! :confused: Don't get discouraged, our scores can only go up when they throw out questions. You and I already passed when they inadvertently posted scores :D but I'm like you, I want my title in writing! :rolleyes:

OH MY GOODNESS! Congratulations on passing to Robyn and Amy! Yay! I am very, very excited for you; make sure you check back on us Monday. It gives me great relief that they are finally getting the results posted. When did you take your exams? I took mine 12/05/09.

I'm getting excited that our results will be posted soon!

Susan R, CPC, CEMC

Wendy, No email for me, either; yet! :confused: Don't get discouraged, our scores can only go up when they throw out questions. You and I already passed when they inadvertently posted scores :D but I'm like you, I want my title in writing! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the encouragement. Yes I too want it in writing:confused: that I passed.

Congrats to all who've already found out!

That's so funny the ones that took the exam one week later got their results before us, Wendy!

That's okay, that means their papers were loaded on top of ours, haha. :p

I'm actually getting very excited to get our results (hopefully) by Monday. I think having this credential just solidifies my position and possibly opens new doors as well. Anyone else think compliance may be the way to go in the near future? I do.

Susan R, CPC, CEMC

Last edited:
Congrats! Robin!!! I got my email last night and passed also! I took my test 12/14.

Michele R. Hayes, CPC, CPMA, CEMC, CGIC