Wiki CPPM online course

Lynda Wetter

True Blue
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Has anyone taken the 3 month online course? If so do you feel it was worth it. Did you gain allot of information from the course and did it appropriately prepare you for the exam? Currently I have no practice management experience and am hoping this will get my foot in the door and gain some basic knowledge.
I ask because I took the CPMA online and only found it a little helpful. I passed but learned a bit more on my own research.

I recently finished the CPPM course and took the exam a few days ago. This is my personal experience and opinion. I did not feel the information throughout the course was sufficient enough to pass the exam. After each module there is a test which I did well on and was confident that I understood the information. I did struggle on the accounting part as the course introduced frequent reports and formulas but no examples to apply the formulas until the module test. I reached out to a "coach" with my concerns hoping they would send additional questions/examples to practice. They did open another test module but the module had the same two questions as the first. Their 2nd suggestion was to search the internet because that's what we do " in real life" when we want to know more about a topic.

I was baffled by the response so I tried to call the AAPC to see if I could talk to a coach. Numerous times I sat on hold for at least 10 minutes only to be told no one was available and I couldn't leave a message. I'm not sure how the AAPC defines the role of a coach but it was not what I was expecting.
As far as the actual exam the questions are much different than the questions after each module test. The way the questions were written with the answers being so close I felt like the AAPC designed the test for the student to fail. Again this is just my personal opinion.

Thanks that is helpful. It kind of sounds like the way the CPMA course was. Do you know if you passed? Do you have previous experience?
Again I am thinking of looking at this as a way to begin getting my experience and my foot in the door somewhere as a coding manager/supervisor. Just trying to "up my game!"

Hi. I took the CPPM course and exam. I went in thinking it was going to be refresher for me, as I have been a manager for 16 year. However, I found the information in the course very helpful and I learned quite a lot. If you feel you are weak in any area they touch on, do more research before the exam. I took the exam and walked away feeling I had done a terrible job, but came out with an 85%. With that said, I do feel the course prepared me, but I will say you really need to study every bit of the
material it gives you.

Hi. I took the CPPM course and exam. I went in thinking it was going to be refresher for me, as I have been a manager for 16 year. However, I found the information in the course very helpful and I learned quite a lot. If you feel you are weak in any area they touch on, do more research before the exam. I took the exam and walked away feeling I had done a terrible job, but came out with an 85%. With that said, I do feel the course prepared me, but I will say you really need to study every bit of the
material it gives you.

Perhaps that's the difference you have been a manager for sixteen years and I have not. I was just voicing my experience with course and the AAPC. Thanks for the study tips though..by the way do you by chance work for the AAPC?

@dconahan - I completely agree with you. I finished the course about 2 months ago and I'm taking the test in 2 days and I know I'm going to fail. This course does NOT prepare you at ALL for this exam. I hated that there were no practice questions or anything. I have my CPC and I took the course through PennFoster and I did really well on the course and the exam. I want to get my CPB but now I'm afraid to take the course through AAPC after this fiasco. Did you pass?

Last edited:
This may be old, but I have to disagree. I think the course prepared me perfectly for the exam. If I wouldn't have done the course, I surely would not have passed.

Is it hard? Oh yes. Very. The questions are tricky. But studying is the key. Ask questions if you don't understand something. A coach will gladly help you with rationale.

Is it worth it? To me, yes... As I can say I passed a hum-dinger of a certification :)

I participated in the 3 day boot camp. It was a little pricey, but well worth it. The CPPM is a tough exam with 200 questions, but I felt the 3 days & info obtained fit the questions/topics well. However, I have been a working practice manager for many years. I think it would be very hard to pass this test without a working experience. You will need a calculator. Study, Study!!!!
C Collison, CPPM, CCC:)

I just started this course and have been worried about the lack of practice questions in the text and modules. The CPB course had a boat load of them! Can anyone who has taken the course and test recommend supplemental materials? There are a few books in my Amazon cart but I would love advice before I pull the trigger and buy them. ?

Honestly, I did not purchase any other material. I read, read, read and then re-read the study guide and did the course. I asked questions on the discussion boards and/or reached out with questions to the AAPC Facebook web site.

I don't have years of experience as a manager. The material was hard, but if you study and ask questions, you will do fine.