CPT 11300 vs 11200

daniel

True Blue
Best answers
I got a shave of a skin tag. Do we use the shave cpt's for this.
Or do I go with the 11200.

respectfully
daniel, cpc

skin tags would be the 11200 up to 15 lesions.
11300 would be be lesions at the epidermal or dermal lesion of the trunk, arms or legs diameter 0.5cm or less.

The question would be is this truly dx as a skin tag or a lesion? and is size documented if it is a lesion.

Hi,
For removal of skin tags by any method, use codes 11200 and 11201-
Skin tags are generally removed by shaving- But as long as they are tags we have to give CPT 11200(first 15 tags) and 11201(each additional 10 tags).

What would you do in this case.
Large painful skin tag (stated) in documentation.

Documented as shaved off.

The path came back with the DX of fibroefpthelial polyp.

Which cpt code would we use.

As of now I have 11300. skin tag was on the back.

Now you have a path report w/ a lesion dx not a skin tag so 11300 is appropriate over the 11200, but code according to your diameter.

skin tag removal

I just taught the CPT review class and this came up. The CPT code book says that 11201 is for each additional 10 tags or part there of. The "or part there of" is what is causing confusion. Some dermatology practices think this means even if they don't remove all of the tag it still counts as one removed by any method. Other practices think this means 2 to 10 additional tags. The wording really stinks and should be clarified. The fact that the CPT code definition says 10 not additional 2 to 10 leads me even to believe you must meet a minimum of 10 additional tags to bill this code. I have put a request for clarification to the the American Board of Dermatology. (even though PCP's can remove skin tags). In other areas where "or part there of" is referrenced it means even if they do not remove the whole lesion it still counts. If anyone gets a good answer I would love to be able to have the AAPC clarify this in the Power point for the review class. Jo

Last edited:
removal of 30skin tags. what would be the appropriate code/

Hi,
Skin tags are generally removed by shaving- But as long as they are tags we have to give CPT 11200(first 15 tags) and 11201(each additional 10 tags).
do we code as :
11200= first 15 tags
11201 x 2 each adtl 10 lesions; and part of it (remaining 5 more lesions)

Is this correct???

Hi,
do we code as :
11200= first 15 tags
11201 x 2 each adtl 10 lesions; and part of it (remaining 5 more lesions)

Is this correct???

Per this website.. http://news.aapc.com/coding-pearls-for-skin-care-challenges/
Skin Tags
Skin tags, or dermatofibromas, are fleshy, pedunculated growths that can occur anywhere, but most often arise on the neck, axillae, or groin area. They are usually removed with electrodessication or with a scalpel or scissors. Frequently, local anesthesia is used for this procedure. Because skin tags generally occur in clusters, and are simple to remove, they are coded separately from the destruction of other types of skin lesions. The CPT? 11200 Removal of skin tags, multiple fibrocutaneous tags, any area; up to and including 15 lesions code for skin tag removal includes the first 15 lesions removed. The CPT? +11201 ? each additional 10 lesions (List separately in addition to code for primary procedure) code is used for each additional 10 lesions. For example, if 25 lesions are removed, code both 11200 and 11201.

I believe that is out of date since it was published in 2008. My coding teacher was explaining that a couple years ago, AMA added "part thereof" to the description of some codes because there was too much confusion on what to do if it was more than the base code and not enough for the add-on code.

If you do 16 you can still bill 11200 & 11201
If you do 38 you can still bill 12000 & 12001x3