Wiki CPT 26034

Best answers
Hello,

Can 26034- Incsion, bone cortex, hand or finger (eg, osteomyelitis or bone abscess) if the provider documents in the procedure list “bone looks healthy” - specifically in the dictation “Incision made directly over the open wound over the small finger metacarpal there is a small amount of subcutaneous abscess that was drained. The trauma appeared to be injuring the collateral ligament and also the extensor tendon. So incision drainage down to bone small finger metacarpal of the bone looks healthy clinically. Quite a bit of synovitis around the area. Culture was taken this point sent to microbiology the wound irrigated copiously at this point.”

I am leaning towards using 26011 instead of 26034. Does the bone actually have to be incised to use 26034?

Thank you,

Hello,

This is the Codify description of 26034:

The goal of this procedure is to remove an infected or abscessed portion of a bone of the hand or finger. When the patient is appropriately prepped and anesthetized, the provider makes an incision in the skin over the infected bone. He cuts through the soft tissue to gain access to the infected bone. He then incises and reflects the periosteum, the outer membrane of the bone. He then debrides or scrapes away the infected portion of the bone and washes the area with an antibiotic solution. Finally, the provider places back the periosteum in its original position over the bone and closes the wound by suturing the soft tissue in layers.

I would say you are correct with 26011.

Hello,

This is the Codify description of 26034:

I would say you are correct with 26011.
Thank you! In the meantime I had contacted the provider and he did mention that he had to incise into the periosteum to check if the bone is involved. Which I was able to let him know that is a very key piece to dictate when that is done.