Wiki CPT 27427 and 27428 vs. 27429? Urgent

cclarson

Guru
Best answers
Hello everyone! I'm not sure if I'm coding this correctly, so I could really use some advice. So this patient is having an arthroscopic ACL, open MCL, and open POL (Posterior Oblique Ligament) reconstructions done. I know to code the ACL as 29888, the MCL as 27427 since it's an extraarticular ligament, but I'm not sure how to code the POL ligament reconstruction? Would it be 27428? and if so, does that mean I code both 27427 and 27428, or just 27429? I've never come across this situation before so every bit of help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Here is the report:

POSTOPERATIVE DIAGNOSES:
Left knee dislocation with anterior cruciate ligament, posterior cruciate ligament, and medial collateral ligament disruptions.

OPERATIONS PERFORMED:
Left knee anterior cruciate ligament and posterior cruciate ligament reconstruction with medial collateral ligament repair and augmentation with allograft and internal brace.

DESCRIPTION OF PROCEDURE:
He was taken to the OR and placed in the supine position on the operating room table. After the administration of anesthesia, he was positioned, prepped, and draped in the usual fashion.

After a surgical-out, a long medial incision was made centered over the medial epicondyle proximally and extending proximally beyond that and then distally along the mid tibia. I dissected deeply using sharp dissection and Bovie. I opened the sartorius fascia and then identified the MCL distally. The distal insertion attachments were intact as showed by the MRI. I followed it proximally, and he was proximally avulsed off the medial epicondyle region of the distal femur. His femur was also avulsed at some area. I had cleaned up the scar, and I decided that this is what actually I could most likely repair. I placed my first anchor just posterior and proximal to the medial epicondyle for the superficial MCL. I then identified the gastrocnemius tubercle and placed my attachment for the posterior oblique ligament based upon that and the adductor tubercle.

I now turned our attention to the intraarticular portion of the scope. I made a routine lateral portal and placed the scope into the knee over a blunt trocar. I made a medial portal through the open incision.

Routine arthroscopy was performed. The suprapatellar pouch was benign. The patellofemoral joint looked to be in good condition and tracking well. The notch showed obvious ACL and PCL disruptions. The medial compartment gapped wide open and was clearly visualized. The articular surface was in good condition, and the medial meniscus was stable. The lateral compartment showed similar normal articular cartilage and meniscus.

I then began my reconstruction. I debrided the stumps. I performed a notchplasty to identify the over-the-top position for the ACL. I then introduced the curved curette and got down to the PCL insertion. I placed a guidepin up at the tibia at a 55-degree angle. I brushed the posterior cortex of the tibial flare. I protected the neurovascular structures with the pin catcher. I liked the position and overreamed with a 12-mm reamer. I had previously made a 12-mm Achilles allograft on the back table. I passed the suture. I placed a guidepin in the medial condyle through the open incision as well for the femoral attachment. With the numerous tunnels already in the femoral condyle, I felt a two-bundle reconstruction would be this too much.

I then began my ACL preparation. I placed a stab incision laterally and placed the guidepin down into the 2 o'clock position on the wall. I advanced with the TRUNAV, 8-mm graft, so I used an 8-mm TRUNAV and made a nice 25-mm socket with a 1-mm posterior wall. I pulled the suture down into the knee. I made the tibial tunnel through the open incision as well. It was proximal to the PCL tunnel. I rasped the edges and pulled the sutures out through the tunnel. I then made the femoral tunnel for the PCL as well from outside-in.

I was then ready for the final graft placement. I first passed a PCL up to the tibial tunnel and then out through the femoral tunnel. I placed a 30-mm interference screw up the tibial tunnel with good purchase. I tensioned the PCL graft on the knee on anterior drawer in 90 degrees of flexion and placed a femoral screw. I pulled the ACL through the tibia up into the femoral socket and deployed the ULTRABUTTON XL. It was then used to pull the graft up in the femoral socket. I tensioned that and placed a 9- x 25-mm PEEK interference screw. The knee was near full extension when I placed that.

I then performed my MCL repair. I had placed anchors previously and I used the sutures to repair the MCL and the posterior oblique ligament. I then had a single SutureTape that I used to reinforce the MCL, which I placed distally about 6 cm distal to the joint line in the mid footprint of the MCL. Along with that SutureTape, I also placed a single suture on that anchor. It was a Multifix anchor. I used that SutureTape and used to tie down the excess Achilles tendon graft from the MCL overlying the MCL.

Hello,
PCL was also done arthroscopically 29889. I would just code 27427 for MCL and POL from search attached below these are both extra-articular ligaments:)
The extracapsular ligaments or external ligaments are the patellar ligament, medial collateral ligament (MCL), lateral collateral ligament (LCLs), oblique popliteal ligament, and arcuate popliteal ligament

Hello,
PCL was also done arthroscopically 29889. I would just code 27427 for MCL and POL from search attached below these are both extra-articular ligaments:)
The extracapsular ligaments or external ligaments are the patellar ligament, medial collateral ligament (MCL), lateral collateral ligament (LCLs), oblique popliteal ligament, and arcuate popliteal ligament
Would I code CPT 27427 once or twice?

sorry it took so long to get back on depends on the CPT code description. I am thinking once due to both ligaments are extra; but, if it states ligament as one then code twice. Hope that makes since. Don't have my book with me:)

Fun question.

The MUE on 27427 is 1, so you would need to consider the payer and may only be able to report 1x. Same is true for 27405 (MUE 1). I agree as above the other two CPT are 29888, 29889.

Interestingly, the MCL is stated repeatedly as repair in the body of the note but it's called "repair and augmentation with allograft and internal brace" in the header. If you read this section: "I then performed my MCL repair. I had placed anchors previously and I used the sutures to repair the MCL and the posterior oblique ligament. I then had a single SutureTape that I used to reinforce the MCL, which I placed distally about 6 cm distal to the joint line in the mid footprint of the MCL. Along with that SutureTape, I also placed a single suture on that anchor. It was a Multifix anchor. I used that SutureTape and used to tie down the excess Achilles tendon graft from the MCL overlying the MCL." I think that's a typo and it should say excess Achilles graft from the PCL. You may need to query on this because it could make a difference between a primary repair vs. reconstruction on the MCL/POL. 27405 v. 27427. It may just be not the greatest dictation that could be brought to the attention of the provider. I keep going back and forth between 27405 & 27427.

If I was an external auditor reading this, I would question it. Is tying down some of the Achilles graft used (and credit given) for on the PCL enough to code the reconstruction and get higher RVU for the MCL vs. 27405? It does not appear it was an additional graft specifically for the MCL. It also doesn't appear from the wording that it was more than primary repair of the POL. Further, due to the anatomic location of the POL is that even considered "separate"? Is it more likely it is considered part of the MCL repair and not reported separately? Something to consider, could 27427 be used for the MCL and 27405 be used for the POL if there was no graft and only direct, primary repair on the POL if in fact it is considered totally separate work? If you have the AAOS Global Surgical Data book you would probably want to check that too for included/excluded in each CPT.